5Diii HDR experiment

charles_mason

<p>Yes the treatment is way over the top. Are you able to "dial in" how much effect you want? I highly recommend not doing it while moving (note the multiple images). I have no idea how the house got rendered so well, when everything else is a mess. Use a tripod and get back to us with some samples.</p>

<p>I don't know what setting was used in the examples above, but the Natural setting gives a completely different look. Here's a 2-stop +/- example. You wouldn't recognize it as HDR unless you compared it to the higher contrast original files in which, for instance, the water is considerably darker.</p><div>00aD6h-454269584.JPG.e9e6006087d2f0a2c3682d7eb3cfd25c.JPG</div>

<p>Hi All,<br>

Yes, I know it is over the top and you aren't "supposed" to be moving. I guess I wasn't very clear that I was just playing around with it. The montage it produced from three similar but not alike images was interesting to me. Something I'd never try. I did have it dialed to the heavy Art setting. So I wasn't trying to produce a beautiful longer scale image, like the one above. I was looking for a little serendipity. And I certainly got that. <br>

So please appreciate it (or not) based on that idea. Not on how HDR should be or usually is used to simply lengthen the tonal scale.<br>

Oh, and John, you can choose an effect before you shoot, from natural to several progressively more heavy art settings. But not after the camera processes. The JPEG the camera produces is done. But you can choose to save the three brackets, and then run them through Photomatix or Photoshop or a similar HDR program later. Maybe I'll try that with these three just to see how the disimilar compostions are handled there.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Charles</p>

<p>Well, you certainly got 'interesting' results... It is ironic that driving while gabbing (or texting) on the cellphone is dangerous enough to be illegal in many places, but using your DSLR to do HDR images while driving isn't ;-p Even on snowy roads! </p>

<p>Good luck w/ that, and try not to run over too many children, my understanding is that even in AK that's frowned upon...</p>