5DIII file numbering issue

Hello all

My 5DIII is set to continuous file numbering mode. It has recently 'gone around' from _K7A9999 to _K7A0001.

I would like entirely original file names, such as _K8A0001 or _L70001.

Can anyone advise how to avoid multiple files with the same name on my PC and storage? What is LR going to make of this?

Please save me from my moderate file management-based peril!

Many thanks

Clare

If it helps, and with the proviso that I've never used a 5D3 (I just looked in the manual in the expectation that this feature must be there), the 5DIII has a "File name" section under the "spanner 1" settings tab - see p.154 of the manual. That lets you change the bit of the file name which goes before the four-digit exposure number, which sounds like what you're looking for. It won't happen automatically, though - and it obviously won't affect captures you've already made, for which you'll either have to rename them manually or use Wouter's suggestion (I don't use Lightroom, so I don't know how its renaming works).

Good luck!

• Like 1

When importing your images into Lightroom, you can automatically rename the images on import. If you then use something like "jobname + import date + sequential number", your files will have unique names, even if on the camera they did not.

This is great. Thank you.

If it helps, and with the proviso that I've never used a 5D3 (I just looked in the manual in the expectation that this feature must be there), the 5DIII has a "File name" section under the "spanner 1" settings tab - see p.154 of the manual. That lets you change the bit of the file name which goes before the four-digit exposure number, which sounds like what you're looking for. It won't happen automatically, though - and it obviously won't affect captures you've already made, for which you'll either have to rename them manually or use Wouter's suggestion (I don't use Lightroom, so I don't know how its renaming works).

Good luck!

This is great advice.

There are two solutions to my problem.

Thank you so much guys.

Extra kudos for not telling me to RTFM too. thank you.

:-) I'm a very boring man who likes reading camera manuals. If everyone using a camera had to read the manual thoroughly in advance, that would say bad things about the usability of the cameras - so not Ring TFM isn't something to be ashamed of.