5DII gets manual audio, 60D gets manual audio STILL NO MANUAL AUDIO FOR 7D!

paul_russell1

<p>whatever happened to auto iso on the 5dm2?</p>

<p>I know it has auto ISO, but one where you set aperture and shutter and then the camera figures out iso itself. That would be handy and I believe all later cameras have it - did they ever include it in a firmware update? Not to steal your thread, of course ;-)</p>

<p>Hi Brett<br>

Been getting decent results on my 7D via a beachtek DXA unit with Sennheiser K6 / ME66 combo.<br>

Haven't ran them through a lab test to compare sound between the Digi790 and the 7D, but haven't felt the need. Sounds good to me. I would imagine without the beachtek and the AGC totally unrestrained it would be very yukky, but thats not how I shoot.<br>

Far preferable to second unit with synching issues, battery type issues and forgetting to hit record issues.<br>

Would prefer to have the second channel totally free for audio (as is it has the 20khz tone, easily filtered of course) agc and manual control would be much preferred.<br>

If the 60D had a headphone socket I would be really pithed off.</p>

<p>Auto ISO doesn't do anything except automatically choose an appropriate ISO based on other camera settings. Used in aperture AV or TV, auto ISO is extremely useful and valuable for action shooting, wildlife, etc. Perhaps your problem is you used it one. I've used it for years with great success. Jan, it's still there in the 5d2, just go one step below 100iso.</p>

<p>Brett, auto ISO is disabled in M mode on the 5DII (it simply defaults to ISO 400). That makes it pretty much useless.</p>

<p>If you use auto ISO with AV or TV you're giving the camera two variables which means you've lost control of the settings. Another useless combination.</p>

<p>Perhaps it makes sense if you use P mode, on the assumption that you don't care about the settings anyway. But M is the mode where it would be most useful.</p>