5DII Banding at high ISO

jose_castro1

<p>Hello.<br>

I'm holding my breath on this one. I used my 5DII for the first time under a low light condition and as the ISO was set at 3200, took pictures wide open and in burst mode. The result of the three successive shots are attached and the problem is obvious. I shot at lower a ISO and stopped down to f/4 and the problem isn't as apparent. Can anyone please offer to explain how this happened? Is it with the lens or the camera and is it something that can be fixed?<br>

Thanks in advance.<br>

JC</p>

<div>00SbQl-112251684.thumb.jpg.41fee339c3f5fb3e2fe5a359ad85fb16.jpg</div>

<p>Well, I only see two examples and on my big graphics monitor, it doesn't appear too bad. But that's because I can't help but compare it to the banding that my 5D was prone to at 3200 under low light conditions, which was horrible.<br>

The best thing to do if you are unhappy with what you see is to return it or send it to Canon for testing and adjustment.</p>

<p>No banding in those shots.</p>

<p>Jose,</p>

<p>high ISO banding from the 5D MK II has been the topic of <em>massive </em> amounts of discussion since its release - there was even a firmware release specifically to address the issue.</p>

<p>Did you do <em>any research at all</em> before posting here?</p>

<blockquote>

<p> the room uses fluorescent light</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What shutter speed did you use..? I do not see banding (in the digital photography sense of this term) in your posted samples but take a moment and look up how to photograph under fluorescent lights, i.e. how these light operate and what shutter speeds are needed. This topic is widely discussed, also on photo.net.</p>

<p>Thanks Michael and Michael<br>

I read between posts and found a few information on the effect of fluorescent light. I'm about to try and do side by side shots with a 30D, same lens, ISO, aperture and shutter speed. I would expect to find the same results but hope the 5DII would do better.<br>

PS I shot at 1/500</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would expect to find the same results but hope the 5DII would do better.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Fluorescent lights pulse rapidly and the quality of light varies depending on where in the cycle you catch it. Faster shutter speeds are the worse as you can catch an odd color or dark spot and slow speeds (e.g., 1/15) merge several cycles together for a more natural look. It's a timing issue and has nothing to do with choice of 30D or 5DII. </p>

<p>No banding in the shots. Damn good for ISO 3200.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter