5Dii and di-GPS

borrel1

<p>Although using a separate GPS (I use a Garmin GPSMap 60Cx and a Wintec G-Rays GPS-logger regularly) is flexible, it does require remembering to take one along, making sure the camera clock is set to UTC, and not least the hassle of downloading the track and transfering to the images with an appropriate utility. (I use the Houdah geotagger or command line scripts.) With the Canon 5Dii and attached WFT-E4 unit, it's easier and more convenient to have a dedicated GPS attached to the camera strap and tethered with a USB cable. Admittedly, the arrangement is not cheap. The di-USB GPS is very small and not very expensive, but even with the added convenience of the wireless transfer option, it's difficult to understand why Canon have not embedded some GPS extraction software in the camera's irmware instead of charging the price of a very good point-and-shoot for the WFT-E4. Having tested the WFT-4E with the large Garmin GPS attached to the camera strap, finding that it functioned well, drained the battery fast, got in the way, needed a messy USB cable sticking out of the back of the GPS, I decided to get the di-GPS USB. Here is the result: http://abdallah.hiof.no/20090429-diGPS/ (Never mind the lousy pictures.) Apart from price, very stiff cable and inconveniently conventional USB plug protruding from the WFT, it handles and works very well. The di-GPS drains very little battery and apparently has a battery of its own to retain the last position which is used until the it gets a new fix after the camera wakes from sleep.<br>

- Børre Ludvigsen</p>