5D vs 40D for wedding and events photography?

will_akandou

Hello

I know i'm boring with my question, but im about to make a ver y important (for me) investment, and i don't want

to do a mistake...

I wasn't follwoing news about dsl since few months, and i've seen thant canon 5D mark 2 was finally

release...which means that the 5D is now sold at a much more reasonable price...

I planned to take 2 canon 40D bodies...but now i hesitate with 2 5D bodies.... the problem is the price (twice

much expensive for 2 5D bodies....) but if it's really a big step to do wedding and event shoots, maybe i'll ruin

myself.

So i wanted to know what are the difference between these 2 bodies that could justify to spend twice the price of

a 40D, or if you prefer, is the 5D gives a real PLUS for wedding and event photography compare to the 5D

1) is the 5D image quality (not talking about how i take picture but pure image quality) is much more better than

40D (enough to justify twice the price), and is a real plus for wedding photography?

2) What gives me a full frame sensor compare to APS-C (except the fact that i can use lenses liek they are (the

35mm = 35mm) and i don't care about that, i want to know if it gives a real Plus for wedding photography

3) auto-focus is much more better than 40D AF

4) etc.

thank you!

Very good advice from Marianne.

1. The image quality of the 40D is said to be slightly less than that of the 5D. Probably, a lot of the difference has to do with the fact that the 5D is full frame. This factor is a plus for wedding photography in the sense that you can crop images and still retain good image quality. Whether it is worth it to you depends on your personal opinion, plus whether you tend to shoot 'fully cropped' or shoot loose and crop in post.

2. The full frame vs. cropped sensor has been beaten to death and I won't repeat the points. For wedding photography, it makes very little difference, save for the little bit of a point above. I just looked at some enlargements from some images I shot 3 years ago with a 20D. They look great. I would have no hesitation in shooting an event with my 20D, and I use it as back up camera to my 5D now.

3. I can't say about the 40D AF. I can say that the 5D is a lot better with AF than my 20D. Again, part of this might be due to the fact that the 5D is full frame, and there is just more room for everything--the focus points in the viewfinder, etc.

I repeat--Marianne has very good advice.

thx for the answer (and the advice) but there is no posiblity to rent slr camera where i live...

So do you think buying a 5D twice the price of a 40D for wedding and events photography (i want image quality that will satisfy 99% of my future clients? (honesty, if you tell me a 40D give very good image quality that will satisfy 99% of my client, maybe it's better to take that, knowing it's much more cheaper...and for my personal use it's 100% enough for me but i would like you tell me in your opinion (because you seem in wedding photography since a long time and know the slr camera)... i really want that... well, at least 95% of my future clients (lambda clients) are satisifed by the image quality it offers (i'm not talking about how i take the pictures, but pure image quality) ...and also that it supports warm because i'll be living in mexico, and also that it's enough good in all points to don't risk to miss something by the mistake of the slr (because it's slow, or lack of reaction, or lazy AF etc. i don't know what could be the reason...because i've used a pentax K10D that people say very good, and i can guarantee you that it made me lose few shots and it was not my fault)

thanks if you can answer me

For your purpose the two 40Ds is a good way to go, you can use the money you save to purchase better glass and

accessories.....you might want to invest some money in pro training and seminars as well. The key to good quality

results lies more often than not in good quality lenses and supplemental lighting rather than the camera body.

maikeul - combining the bodies is a great idea.

I used to use two 20Ds, then two 40Ds, and now two 5Ds with the two 40Ds as backup.

in my eyes, the images from the 5D have a higher dynamic range, better color, and look richer.

I have a big bokeh fetish, so for me, the 5D with teh L series primes beats the 40D hands down - and I thin kthat this is good for weddings where bokeh can make a nasty venue look gorgeous.

I think that you should go with a 40D and just have something available for a backup. if you are seirous, I think that you will find the 5D II a very very attractive camera if the high iso noise levels are as well controlled as some of the early preproduction samples look.

autofocus is definitely better on the 40D.

sounds to me that you should find someone who has both bodies and fondle them for an hour. if you live in near philly, you are welcome to come over to my place and give it a try.

cheers.

IMHO, the 40d is more camera than the 5D in all but the sensor. For me the criteria begin with a great sensor, so the 5D won. I had the 40's and found them to be better in the functionality department, but lacking in file rendition and size. I want a 12mp sensor with great color, DR and high iso performance.

I also don't care for the fact that my 5D's had to make trips to Canon so often for this and that fixes. Hopefully the QC issues are done better with the next generation of bodies.

If I had to do it over, the 5D's would win but only if you shoot with an 85/1.2 or 24/35 1.4 lenses. If you shoot flash when the light goes down and can live with the 10mp res. then the 40D's would win.

Best, D.

Just read your other thread about this below.

If you don't have a commitment to either system already, consider the D300. It is a whole step up from the 40D or 5D IMO. If funds allow, then the D700's are great bodies but require heavier/larger glass.

For reference I have had them all. I currently have/use Nikon gear but have no real loyalty to one or other brand. In fact if Sony keep working the way they are, I will probably switch to theirs in the not too distant future. The glass they offer is Zeiss.... Mmmmm.

I may well try the new 5D2 though.

There is great leverage in a Digital SLR KIT being based upon two (or three) bodies of DIFFERENT formats.

IMO, that leverage and flexibility, for Wedding and Event Photography, is more important than any of the individual differences of the two camera bodies in question.

FYI, as one example of how I have previously expressed this:

http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00QPIK

My Posts from Aug 06, 2008; 03:56 p.m. and afterwards

WW