5D Shutter Motion

ejchem101

<p>This is not a post about replacing the 5D mirror. But I can see why it needs reinforcing!</p>

<p>When I made the switch from a 20D to a 5D it is almost like you can FEEL the shutter when it moves. I almost feel like I have to brace my hands more to keep the motion from shaking the camera.</p>

<p>Anyone else notice this or am I just losing my mind?</p>

<p>Shutters often feel and sound different between different models of camera. The mirror and shutter on a full-frame camera are larger than those of an APS-C camera and can be expected to be somewhat louder, but I've never found my 5D Mark II to have much recoil when it shoots. If you want to put this into proper perspective, try a Pentax 67 medium-format SLR some time. Some people compare the 67's mirror slap and shutter to a shotgun blast -- an exaggeration, to be sure, but there is a definite kick you release the shutter, and the noise is impressively loud for a camera. Any full-frame SLR is quiet as a mouse in comparison.</p>

<p>Thanks guys, that makes a lot of sense. <br>

Craig, I do need to try out a MF SLR sometime, would be interesting to feel that shotgun blast you speak of.<br>

I suppose I just need to get my tripod out more often to avoid the motion from any kick of the shutter.</p>

<p>+1 for Justin. It's just BIGGER. However, other variables such as cushioning and the like come into it too. The old film EOS cameras that I have reported on here often are surprisingly different in the sounds they create with at least similar mirror systems.</p>

<p>I thought my 5D had an exceptionally quiet and low impact mirror/shutter slap compared to most FF bodies. My EOS 3 was so forceful I sometimes thought the camera was twisting! My FM3A has more kickback too. Of course it's mostly your imagination as even slow shutter speeds are sharp and vibration free on all 3 cameras.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter