5D MkIII when to expect

spotrider

<p>The 5D MkIV will be nothing next to the 5D MkX. The Mark X will actually travel forward in time to let you pre-judge the histogram before you even compose the shot. It will be operated via wireless implants in your head.</p>

<p>Also, each model will contain a few atoms of Anselenium, a rare isotope in the actinoid family.</p>

<p>I heard a rumor that it will be on September 18th, 9:32 AM (Tokyo time) +/_ 34.26 seconds... :)<br>

Seriously, I do not think that anyone expects it in the next year. Beyond that it is speculation. If you need a FF sensor that delivers great IQ at a less than huge (I know, it is all relative) price I would get a 5DMKII now. If you do not need it now, why worry?</p>

<p>Actually, I’ve been shooting with one for the past couple months. Sweet camera, but

I’m afraid that the 82.793 megapickles are too noisy to be any good. And only 143 AF points?

ISO maxes out at 1048576? HelLO! How is anybody supposed to get any decent pictures with it?</p>

<p>Bah.</p>

<p>Now the Nikon 999D — <em>that’s</em> a sweet camera!</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 5D MkIV will be nothing next to the 5D MkX.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm holding out for the 5D MkC. It should in stores by 2250. When they make the announcement, I'll send my android assistant over to B&H to hold a spot in the line for me.</p>

<p>:-D</p>

<p>I'm thinking, if you phrased it with "what do you think Canon will do to its full frame line in the next model iteration?", you may get less snarky remarks :) That removes the ModelXX stigma. Assessing, dreaming and don't even go to reviewing pixel density noise, of vapor ware is a frowned upon by some in the dslr set as much as buying EF-S lenses.<br /> /bing</p>

<p>To fall in with other posts - nobody knows. Canon is very good at keeping new products secret until they're ready to announce them. That said, my 21mp 1Ds MKIII gives great images and still will when a MKIV, V or VI is available. Since we're talking digital and not film, I wonder what about the possibility of expanding sensor size larger than 24x36? Continuing to increase pixel count on a sensor that isn't growing has to hit the wall at a certain point. I would think it possible to make a 30x40 (just picking a size at random) sensor in a body not much larger than todays 1D series. That would probably allow pixel count to grow easily to 50mp or more. Of course I don't really see the need to grow that far unless you plan on printing HUGE. </p>

<p>I'm hoping the MK III or IV will have 45 AF sensors, larger viewfinder (if live view doesn't make it extinct) and expect the next model in 2012. But then Canon might have an 8D or 9D by then (obviously crop). Problem is, there comes a point where more electronics means more complications and more to go wrong. I would really like a reincarnation of the EOS 3 in a 5D body with more manual features :(o)</p>

<p>Ha! This was indeed all very enjoyable. Excuse the scepticism of my fellow contributors Martin. It is somewhat funny but there does exist a serious answer:<br>

The 5DI was introduced in Aug-2005. The 5DII was introduced in Sep-2008. Canon is quite consistent in how they approach this. As much as their audience wants a new camera, they owe it to their current user base to provide value and the only guarantee you have, is previous behavior of Canon. You'd want YOUR 5DIII to last for 3 years before its value plunges, right? So, logically, the next one would come out Aug/Sep-2011.<br />That is probably also one of the reasons why they introduced the 7D. As the market is demanding more innovation at a higher speed. Or, some will argue, providers are pushing each other. Meanwhile, why don't you get the most out of your 5DI and look forward to Aug/Sep-2011. Maybe spoil yourself with a new lens to induce your photography enthusiasm :-) Either that, or sell your 5DI online, take some loss and apply the money to a nice 5DII or 7D. May I refer to existing threads for that discussion :-)</p>

<p>"You'd want YOUR 5DIII to last for 3 years before its value plunges, right?"</p>

<p>I would say that there are very few people "investing" in digital cameras and expecting them to increase in value. Raw eggs have a similar return on investment.</p>

<p>However I agree that it'll be a while before Canon replaces the 5DII.</p>

<p>I think an update to, but not a brand new, 5D Mark II-something, is in the works. Canon officially dropped the MSRP the other day on the existing 5D Mark II by $200. The new MSRP is $2,499, NOT $2,699.</p>

<p>When Canon starts putting out rebate programs and/or drops MSRP's, it is because they are clearing the manufacturing, shipping and inventory pipelines for new products.</p>

<p>I think the update will be minor but offer a competitive challenge to Nikon in whatever space the 5D Mark II currently competes. This is like the incremental updates/refreshes Nikon has done with the D3, D3x and D3s.</p>

<p>Regardless of what Canon refreshes the 5D Mark II with, the ordinary 5D Mark II will still be one of the best cameras ever made. And, like someone said above, nobody "invests" in mass-market digital cameras manufactured in the millions. These are just tools. They can't do a thing without a photographer who knows what he/she is doing holding and operating it.</p>

<p>Just my 2 cents.</p>

<p>Matt</p>

<p>Well, I think that the 5D lived in a different market environment altogether. For quite some time, it was basically the only choice for photographers wanting FF at a "reasonable" price. So Canon managed to cream it a little longer than normal in the DSLR world (from 2005 to 2008).<br>

However, I think they can not afford to do the same thing with the 5DMKII. There are now "affordable" FF cameras from Nikon and Sony that are serious competion for the Canon 5D series. It could be that the 5DMKII gets a facelift sooner than the 3 year time frame; maybe with new features borrowed from the 7D (new weather proofing, new AF module, on screen grid, etc, etc). Canon made it very clear that they have consulted extensively with professional photographers, before updating the 1DMKIV, and before releasing a new camera in a new segment (APS-C pro camera in the 7D).<br>

The 5D series design is getting old now (it is basically a XXD design with FF), and the market has evolved considerably. So the next logical step for the 5D series is to develop into the 7D design. And Canon can not afford to wait until 2011 to do it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think an update to, but not a brand new, 5D Mark II-something, is in the works. Canon officially dropped the MSRP the other day on the existing 5D Mark II by $200. When Canon starts putting out rebate programs and/or drops MSRP's, it is because they are clearing the manufacturing, shipping and inventory pipelines for new products.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Or the $200 price drop could simply be a way of luring people to the Canon camp before Nikon introduces its new full-frame SLRs in early February: (<a href="http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/01/canon-5d-mark-ii-price-dropand-why.html">link</a> )</p>

<p>The price just dropped on the 5d MkII, below $2500 for the first time at B&H. Some say to grab undecided people thinking full frame before the Nikon D700s appears in February -- Maybe.</p>

<p>You can wait forever, as others have pointed out. Or, you can make pics right now.</p>