5D MkIII when to expect

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by spotrider, Jan 14, 2010.

1. I have a 5D mkI. I like it.
    I got to play with a friends 7D. I really liked the focus, iso, and screen. The video has great potential
    Based on history, when should we expect a Mk III of the 5D?
    Thnks
    Marty

2. Probably the day after you buy a 5d MkII, though if you wait a little longer I hear the 5D MkIV will really be a killer camera.

3. +1 for what Bob said.

4. The 5D MkIV will be nothing next to the 5D MkX. The Mark X will actually travel forward in time to let you pre-judge the histogram before you even compose the shot. It will be operated via wireless implants in your head.
    Also, each model will contain a few atoms of Anselenium, a rare isotope in the actinoid family.

5. Fall 2012 if it has the same lifespan as the 5D.

6. I heard a rumor that it will be on September 18th, 9:32 AM (Tokyo time) +/_ 34.26 seconds... :)
    Seriously, I do not think that anyone expects it in the next year. Beyond that it is speculation. If you need a FF sensor that delivers great IQ at a less than huge (I know, it is all relative) price I would get a 5DMKII now. If you do not need it now, why worry?

7. 2 years minimum IMHO

8. Actually, I’ve been shooting with one for the past couple months. Sweet camera, but I’m afraid that the 82.793 megapickles are too noisy to be any good. And only 143 AF points? ISO maxes out at 1048576? HelLO! How is anybody supposed to get any decent pictures with it?
    Bah.
    Now the Nikon 999D — that’s a sweet camera!
    Cheers,
    b&

9. this is the kind of post that I wish we could insert audio files as a response....I'd be doing my JJ Walker or Boss Hog voice....

10. The 5D MkIV will be nothing next to the 5D MkX.​
    I'm holding out for the 5D MkC. It should in stores by 2250. When they make the announcement, I'll send my android assistant over to B&H to hold a spot in the line for me.
    :-D

11. My guess would be 2011 or 2012.

12. stp

stp

Impossible questions have impossible answers. Both are enjoyable, though.

13. I'm thinking, if you phrased it with "what do you think Canon will do to its full frame line in the next model iteration?", you may get less snarky remarks :) That removes the ModelXX stigma. Assessing, dreaming and don't even go to reviewing pixel density noise, of vapor ware is a frowned upon by some in the dslr set as much as buying EF-S lenses.
    /bing

14. To fall in with other posts - nobody knows. Canon is very good at keeping new products secret until they're ready to announce them. That said, my 21mp 1Ds MKIII gives great images and still will when a MKIV, V or VI is available. Since we're talking digital and not film, I wonder what about the possibility of expanding sensor size larger than 24x36? Continuing to increase pixel count on a sensor that isn't growing has to hit the wall at a certain point. I would think it possible to make a 30x40 (just picking a size at random) sensor in a body not much larger than todays 1D series. That would probably allow pixel count to grow easily to 50mp or more. Of course I don't really see the need to grow that far unless you plan on printing HUGE.

15. I'm hoping the MK III or IV will have 45 AF sensors, larger viewfinder (if live view doesn't make it extinct) and expect the next model in 2012. But then Canon might have an 8D or 9D by then (obviously crop). Problem is, there comes a point where more electronics means more complications and more to go wrong. I would really like a reincarnation of the EOS 3 in a 5D body with more manual features :(o)

16. Ha! This was indeed all very enjoyable. Excuse the scepticism of my fellow contributors Martin. It is somewhat funny but there does exist a serious answer:
    The 5DI was introduced in Aug-2005. The 5DII was introduced in Sep-2008. Canon is quite consistent in how they approach this. As much as their audience wants a new camera, they owe it to their current user base to provide value and the only guarantee you have, is previous behavior of Canon. You'd want YOUR 5DIII to last for 3 years before its value plunges, right? So, logically, the next one would come out Aug/Sep-2011.
    That is probably also one of the reasons why they introduced the 7D. As the market is demanding more innovation at a higher speed. Or, some will argue, providers are pushing each other. Meanwhile, why don't you get the most out of your 5DI and look forward to Aug/Sep-2011. Maybe spoil yourself with a new lens to induce your photography enthusiasm :) Either that, or sell your 5DI online, take some loss and apply the money to a nice 5DII or 7D. May I refer to existing threads for that discussion :)

17. "You'd want YOUR 5DIII to last for 3 years before its value plunges, right?"
    I would say that there are very few people "investing" in digital cameras and expecting them to increase in value. Raw eggs have a similar return on investment.
    However I agree that it'll be a while before Canon replaces the 5DII.

18. I think an update to, but not a brand new, 5D Mark II-something, is in the works. Canon officially dropped the MSRP the other day on the existing 5D Mark II by $200. The new MSRP is $2,499, NOT $2,699.
    When Canon starts putting out rebate programs and/or drops MSRP's, it is because they are clearing the manufacturing, shipping and inventory pipelines for new products.
    I think the update will be minor but offer a competitive challenge to Nikon in whatever space the 5D Mark II currently competes. This is like the incremental updates/refreshes Nikon has done with the D3, D3x and D3s.
    Regardless of what Canon refreshes the 5D Mark II with, the ordinary 5D Mark II will still be one of the best cameras ever made. And, like someone said above, nobody "invests" in mass-market digital cameras manufactured in the millions. These are just tools. They can't do a thing without a photographer who knows what he/she is doing holding and operating it.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Matt

19. Puppy,
    Regarding your prediction of a 2012 introduction, what if the world ends during 2012 in the summer, and there's no 5D III intro? Then what? We're stuck with 5D IIs forever?
    Sounds bleak.

20. I think December 21, 2012 is the end of the Mayan calendar. After that all DSLRs will turn into APS film cameras and women rule the world.

21. Well, I think that the 5D lived in a different market environment altogether. For quite some time, it was basically the only choice for photographers wanting FF at a "reasonable" price. So Canon managed to cream it a little longer than normal in the DSLR world (from 2005 to 2008).
    However, I think they can not afford to do the same thing with the 5DMKII. There are now "affordable" FF cameras from Nikon and Sony that are serious competion for the Canon 5D series. It could be that the 5DMKII gets a facelift sooner than the 3 year time frame; maybe with new features borrowed from the 7D (new weather proofing, new AF module, on screen grid, etc, etc). Canon made it very clear that they have consulted extensively with professional photographers, before updating the 1DMKIV, and before releasing a new camera in a new segment (APS-C pro camera in the 7D).
    The 5D series design is getting old now (it is basically a XXD design with FF), and the market has evolved considerably. So the next logical step for the 5D series is to develop into the 7D design. And Canon can not afford to wait until 2011 to do it.

22. I hope it will never exist,
    because I'm spending a fortune to keep pace with Canons developments ;-)

23. I think an update to, but not a brand new, 5D Mark II-something, is in the works. Canon officially dropped the MSRP the other day on the existing 5D Mark II by $200. When Canon starts putting out rebate programs and/or drops MSRP's, it is because they are clearing the manufacturing, shipping and inventory pipelines for new products.​
    Or the $200 price drop could simply be a way of luring people to the Canon camp before Nikon introduces its new full-frame SLRs in early February: (link )

24. The price just dropped on the 5d MkII, below $2500 for the first time at B&H. Some say to grab undecided people thinking full frame before the Nikon D700s appears in February -- Maybe.
    You can wait forever, as others have pointed out. Or, you can make pics right now.

25. As the man says.............
    00VVXX-210155584.jpg

26. But wait, why not the 6D?

27. Martin, sorry you couldn't get more serious responses. You see, this site is full of people that cant stand it when someone asks these questions.
    See, I understand that you are just cautious. You were asking from the people you thought would know in a ballpark area about when the 5DIII would be expected.
    In other words:
    1. Is it most likely in the next 6 months, or:
    2. Are we talking June 2011 ballpark.
    No one knows exactly. But most can be close.
    If the later(#2), you would buy now, if its the first, you wanted to hold out and get the latest and greatest.
    You asked this question here because you are among the many out there that doesnt know everything about Canons product launch history etc. So you thought many here would give pretty consistent answers of a guess. Maybe they all expected it around a 3 month period, then its a safe bet they are right. Many here are pretty good about knowing whats next and when....most of the time. But many here are also pretty good about being jerks and never giving answers.
    People, I really wish if you get that annoyed by peoples post's, just dont answer....its not a MUST to answer everything. This is supposed to be a forum for help, not abuse.
    Martin, some here have made very good suggestions.
    1. New glass can be very inducing.
    I was absolutley amazed when I bought an 85 f1.8. The IQ it provides over my very expensive L Zooms
    wide open is nothing short of breath taking. New lenses can very much change stagnent photography.
    Alot more than a new camera....in most situations.
    2. The 5DII is a good upgrade from the 5D.
    It offers enough upgrade to be worth it. It has great video.
    Tons of resolution. Nice new LCD. Great ISO performance.
    If you are happy with the 5D, the 5DII wont dissappoint you. If you are hoping for a better AF system, then maybe you should wait, because it isnt better. The old 5D will still make great images until you decide whats right for you.
    I know you dont want to buy a new 5D if a new one is on the horizon.
    That said, chances are the 5DII wont be upgraded for a while. BUT, the XXD cameras(20, 30D) were on about a 15-18 month cycle for years too, and my 40D was upgraded in 11 months after I bought it.
    The 10D announced 2/03
    20D 8/04
    30D 2/06
    1D3 announced 2/07, gonna upgrade, waited due to AF issues, bought 40D instead for temp. Wanted frame rate increase. So:
    40D 8/07, I bought in 9/07
    50D 8/08! What the hell.

I was pissed. I was gonna sell it to offset cost of a 1D3 purchase. Couldnt then, my 40D dropped value instantly way before I expected it to.
    They are absolutley moving faster than before due to competition. A for sure bet is that the 5D3 will not be a 3 yr replacement as before. They CAN NOT wait that long due to Nikons hard push in FF market. Canon and Nikon knows exactly what each other is doing long before we do.
    I used to work in a Mercedes Plant and rest assured, they knew exactly what BMW was doing at all times. Its a chess match we are caught right in the middle of.
    Your 5D announced 8/05
    5DII announced 9/08, selling in Dec. 3yrs later.
    So its been rolling for 16months now. Sept. this year will mark 2yrs for the 5DII. Man time flys.
    I suspect the replacement is around that time. They just cant wait much longer. The 3yr cycle is over. Nikon will step all over them.
    Hope this helped with your questions. If you are too cautious right now, glass is always a better upgrade that can be used on all EOS models. They hold value better than cameras too. Dont be too cautious, you'll miss out. If you always wait on newer models, you'll always be waiting, because there will always be a newer, better camera around corner.....that is for sure.
    Take care.

28. "...of vapor ware is a frowned upon by some in the dslr set as much as buying EF-S lenses..."
    I fell out of my seat LOLz at that one! OMG.
    The 5D Mk III will be out (85% confidence here) late 3Q 2011. No sooner.

29. Here's a little more of my thinking...
    The next camera I would expect to be announced is the 1Ds mk 4. I don't see how the 5D mk 3 can come out before that camera, because the 5Dmk3 will presumably have more pixels, and it doesn't seem to be acceptable from a marketing perspective to have the 5D have more pixels than the current flagship pro model. The 1Ds needs to be the "best" Canon. From that perspective, the 1Ds4 will need to be selling for some time - like six months or a year - before the 5D3 can be announced. That's why I would say 2011 or 2012 as likely times, and I think it unlikely the 5D3 will be announced this year.
    Of course there could be surprises. There could be a 3D. They could abandon the more-pixel approach and embrace better-low-light performance. (Indeed they did that in the G11.) Or Puppy could be right and we'll all go to APS and gynocracy. Canon is tough to predict, and they're good at keeping secrets.

30. I have the 5D and was looking at the 5dii or wait for the 5diii because of all the hype, but when I make prints at 20 x30 they look pretty sharp to me and when everyone looks at them they don't ask if it was made by the 5dmarkii. They like the colorful sunsets.
    If I sold my 5d I would regret it, so I still might hang on to it and purchase some more singh ray filters and possibly that 17mm tse or zeiss 21. A Leica m6 with a zeiss lens looks pretty good too.
    00VVkr-210289684.jpg

31. Fututre Canon 5D Jeff 1, internet on the Lcd screen, voice command Like "fire" to the shutter, touch screen and rotates screen just like iphone, mobile access, adobe software lightroom version 10, yup almost like a laptop dslr mobile phone etc..... ;)

32. I must admit it makes me chuckle sometimes when people get wrapped around the axle about the latest toys. The true masters of photography, the Adams', Steiglitz's, Weston's, Cunningham's, et all, used slow cumbersome view cameras and produced images that will endure a hundered or more years from now. I wonder how many images nowadays will be be hanging in art galleries in 2110.
    I use 30+ year old Nikon and Hasselblad film cameras and lenses that will produce just as good if not better an image than any of the latest toys. And 10 years from now I will still be using them, when 95% of the digital cameras in use today will be in a landfill somewhere. I do use a D700 for the little digital I do, but I still do not take it seriously as a photographic medium and probably never really will
    It is not the camera, but the person behind it, that makes the image. The camera is nothing but a tool the photographer uses to make an image. I'll bet a 40 year old hammer will drive a nail just as good as one you bought today.

33. "I'll bet a 40 year old hammer will drive a nail just as good as one you bought today."
    A meaningless, useless analogy if there ever was one.
    I am happy you are so down of DSLRs and how perfect you are at the craft with your ancient, old Nikon and 'Blad toys. My jealousy overflows my modest cup.

34. I ditto Ken
    I could drive a nail with a brick, but the hammer would be easier. And the newer hammers have the anti shock grip technology, anti slip head and new neck technology that makes driving nails easier than 40 yrs ago.
    For the techno/equipment nerds out there, they make nail guns that will shoot nails into wood as fast as you pull the trigger(1D4). Build your house with a hammer, I'll use the new fangled nail guns and mine will need new paint by the time you're done swinging that hammer......I'm just saying.

35. The true masters of photography, the Adams', Steiglitz's, Weston's, Cunningham's, et all, used slow cumbersome view cameras and produced images that will endure a hundered or more years from now.​
    Did they shoot sport? Wildlife? Action? Reportage?
    I'll add to the previous comments by saying that - in the case of some of these "masters" - they're only lauded now because they "managed" at all using the comparatively crappy kit they had to hand.
    Seriously, I look at some of their work and think "big deal".
    There is very often a complete lack of originality or creativity in these old works (to use Cunningham as an example, but I feel the same about Weston and Stieglitz too - banal snapshots that wouldn't warrant a second glance today. You will note that I do not include Adams here) and as I say, the only merit many of these images have to my mind is that they were taken at all given the gear at their disposal.
    This whole "ooh, it's old and in black and white - it must be good. It must be art " mindset is a self-fulfilling way to justify banality, to my mind. It's fine to appreciate old photos for what they were and how they were created, but people use these images as a justification for low standards now.
    And does anyone really believe that if they were alive now they wouldn't be all over the latest and greatest gear?

36. Ken Papai [​IMG][​IMG], Jan 15, 2010; 09:42 p.m.
    "I'll bet a 40 year old hammer will drive a nail just as good as one you bought today."
    A meaningless, useless analogy if there ever was one.
    I am happy you are so down of DSLRs and how perfect you are at the craft with your ancient, old Nikon and 'Blad toys. My jealousy overflows my modest cup.​
    Have you always been this much of a sarcastic jackass, or is this something new?

37. Maybe we should let Adams tell us how much he despises new cameras.
    [​IMG]
    From the introduction to The Negative.

38. 37 responses from a "stupid" question! mmmhh!
    Marty: I bought my 5DII 5 months ago. Actually I deliberately waited all those months to get a ripe product. Maybe I was lucky, but nothing so far is wrong with my copy, well, at least I haven't found it yet. Buy the MkII. Now it's a real good time to do it. It is a much better camera than the MkI in many respects just don't expect a big leap in resolution.
    Eduardo

39. Thanks for the helpful responses (Dave A !). The question seems like a reasonable one, particularly since it is pointed to people like Bob Atkins who have put a tremendous amount of time into the tech side of this hobby. Of course, many of my favorite photos came from my iphone. Sometime I just like the coolness of the machine. I do have some decent glass and am very tempted by the 70-200 2.8 but I fear that I may resent the added weight. Though not in the same IQ league, I even resent the heft of the 24-105. The 17-40 and 85 1.8 are my favorites.
    Bob Atkins [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG], Jan 14, 2010; 12:03 p.m.
    "Probably the day after you buy a 5d MkII, though if you wait a little longer I hear the 5D MkIV will really be a killer camera."
    Sarcastic snobbery is always unbecoming.

40. Well it's been over 9 months since the original post and the burst of initial responses. Considering how iPhone first adopters were disappointed that "historical performance was not an indicator of future performance", and that a major catastrophe that occurred in Japan. Anyone care to throw out another expectation? For me, I'm waiting for the price on the 5DMkII and the money in my pocketbook to come into alignment -- Currently happy with my current setup (5D Original and 60D).