5D MkIII Is it what you wanted?

scott_ferris

<p>Well now it is actually announced does the new MkIII deliver what you wanted? Is it a good answer to the D800? It looks like it could be a 1Ds MkIII killer to me. Really like the wider screens and the second joystick on the grip.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/newsroom?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e024804686e2">Official release here.</a></p>

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>New toy cost $3500 MSRP. Me wonder how much cost on street?</p>

<p>Supposedly ISO 3200 on the MkIII is equivalent to ISO 800 on the MkII, I presume because the photosites on the MkII are only 25% of the sensor, relative to the MkIII's gapless microlens coverage.</p>

<p>Nice :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Supposedly ISO 3200 on the MkIII is equivalent to ISO 800 on the MkII, I presume because the photosites on the MkII are only 25% of the sensor, relative to the MkIII's gapless microlens coverage.<br>

<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, coverage is much higher than that in both cases. Lower noise comes from a better gapless microlens array, improved photodiode structure, on-chip noise reduction and better noise reduction algorithms. The 2 stop gain is for in-camera produced JPEGs. RAW files don't show a 2 stop improvement (Canon didn't quantify how much better the RAW files are, they just said they were better).</p>

<p>It will certainly be interesting to see good comparison images, though I can imagine the fights there will be, even before anybody mentions the D800.</p>

<p>On the face of the specs I'd be more interested in the Canon even if I didn't have any lenses. I have been very happy with 21MP, as a photographer I am more interested in DR and iso performance than direct video out. I like having an SD card slot, makes using the Eye-Fi card easy. I wonder if the price is going to ease this year to compete with the D800, I am sure the first batches available will sell at almost any price, but come Christmas there is a good difference between $2,995 and $3,499.95.</p>

<p>It almost seems Nikon panicked and threw everything and the kitchen sink into the D800, megapixel overload, XQVC (or is that a shopping channel?) cards that almost nobody makes, USB 3, and price. Canon, meanwhile, have left room for a 5D MkIV, direct out video, USB 3, megapixels etc. They can maximise revenue off the early adopters too.</p>

<p>I have posted many times I don't care if I never own camera better than my 1Ds MkIII, but if the 5D MkIII does have the DR, iso performance and AF ability it promises then maybe I just will.</p>

<p>This is better than I had expected.</p>

<p>Just based on what I've seen so far, I'll upgrade from the 5D mk I to the mk III.</p>

<p>Probably a lot of people will be disappointed that the megapixels did not go up much. But I'm not. This is pretty much exactly what I wanted.</p>

<p>Improvements in AF and image quality (though for now just speculative) are very welcome. I don't care for more resolution and am not sure the higher frame rate will be helpful but it can't hurt. One thing on my (actually my wife's) wish list that is not mentioned anywhere is functional autofocus during video capture for us mere mortals who want sharp videos of their kids and can't afford to hire a trained focus puller for that :) Wife's Sony NEX 5N does a pretty good job autofocusing in video so we were hoping the Mark III could as well. Next on my list of unfulfilled wishes is lighter weight... the Mark III is apparently some 100 grams (4 oz) heavier than Mark II. Nevertheless, wife says we'll get one sooner rather than later, and who am I to disagree?</p>

<p>Like Alan said, this is better than I expected. I am definitely impressed with the spec. I shoot primarily JPEG... the 2-stop noise reduction makes my spine tingle ;-)</p>

<p>Megapixel wars have go on for years, <em>ad nauseum</em>, so I'm glad that Canon has chosen to ermmmm.... focus on other things important to image-making.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Not impressed...it seems not much improvement in RAW image quality; no AF in video; (only) 3 exposure HDR capability (of jpegs - not Raw)...but at 0.5 stop intervals (good).</p>

<p>Looks like Nikon's D800 image sensor is significantly ahead of what the 5D3 can do.</p>

<p>I want to like the new 5D3 but it looks like I can focus on lenses for the next couple of years.</p>

<p>Canon 5D Mk II launched at $2699. At that price, I would have really liked 5D Mk III. However at $3499, it is a no go. Used to be Canon was more economical and sensible choice; not any more. The only exciting news today has been the introduction of RF based speed lights.</p>

<p>Price is high but not unexpected.</p>

<p>Aug 2008 exchange rate was 1 Yen to 0.00929454 US dollar</p>

<p>Current exchange rate is 1 Yen to 0.0123316 US dollar</p>

<p>That's 1.327 times higher now. $2700 * 1.327 is $3,581. In terms of Yen, the mk III is being released at a slightly lower price than the mk II was. I realize that doesn't help a US buyer, but they're made in Japan and that's how the exchange rates play out.</p>

<p>No f8 AF capability. Sorry!</p>

<p>"...<em>.</em><em>it seems not much improvement in RAW image quality.</em>.." You cannot conclude that frrm anything said up to now. It's probably less than 2 stops, but even 1 stop would be significant. Canon are showing ISO 3200 images (JPEG of course since you can't show RAW) with essentially no noise and which still look very sharp (i.e. show no obvious signs of heavy handed software noise reduction).</p>