5D MkII rebates might start on Sunday

scott_ferris

<p>I emailed a shop I have done a lot of business with over the years for some prices, they said 5D MkII rebates start on Sunday 25th September for a month. The guy had no reason to mislead me but of course it is just hearsay until Canon announce it, or not! Just hoped to save anybody planning on getting one before this weekend a few dollars.</p>

<p>So if/when these rebates are offered, would that probably signal end of the line for the 5DII and the upcoming release of the 5DIII? I bought my 5DI on a rebate just before the 5DII came out, but I don't know/remember whether there were other rebates offered before that.</p>

<p>During the past 3 years, there were regular rebates on the 5D2. I bought one during 2009 and got a $300 rebate. So the use of rebates doesn't mean jack in and of themselves. Nevertheless, a new model is surely nigh being the 5D2 is 3 years young. Maybe we'll get 20 more MP, a faster CPU and twin turbo pheromone emitters.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

About the MkIII, who knows, but even if they announced it tomorrow it wouldn't be readily available in

shops for weeks, probably months, and when it was it would go for a premium, at least list price but

probably above. That will still leave a nice lower price point for them to sell the remaining MkII's. There is

a big difference between $1,900 or less for a MkII many consumers would see as old technology! And a

new all singing and dancing MkIII with a probable $2,999 or $2,799 list and limited availability . But it

really is all speculation.

<p>Yes, Mr. Sunley…</p>

<p>Believe it or not, I actually had figured that the probability was low. I just thought I’d give it a go. If there was a small chance that they would have risked jumping the gun, maybe now they will see your comment, figure that we don’t expect an answer and make your prediction a self-fulfilling prophecy. </p>

<p>A. T. Burke</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I figure the new 5D3 will retail for probably $3.5K as Canon will sell out how many units they can make in the first lot.</p>

<p>For the 5D3 to drop to the $2.5K range, it'll probably be at least 18 months after it's release which is like 2 years from now.</p>

<p>A $2K 5D2 is a very good deal considering the 7D sells for $1.5K so for an extra $500, you jump from crop to FF. I don't have too many jobs left this year for me to use the 5D2 or I would jump on this chance to buy it.</p>

<p>Processors, memory and storage have taken a nose dive in the past 5-10 years. The Canon 60D is 20% less that the 50D was. The 5D-II was originally priced at about $2,699. so why would a MK III be less than than a Mk II unless it is made of gold or has features that you can't live without?<br>

Just look what IBM and H-P have done with capacity enhancements for a much lower unit price. Digital cameras use processors, memory, and storage too and are subject to the same market competition. A Mk III with 25-30 MP's, that eliminates the need for Photo Shop and Light Room shouldn't be much more that a Mk II is if it wants to be competitive in the market place.<br>

It's and interesting market place and Canon has always been competitive. You either need a new technology, or else you price your processors, memory and storgage at the market price. </p>