5d MKII & Canon 12-24mm Lens

rachaelo

<p>So I finally got my 5D MKII and have discovered that I cannot use my Canon 12-24mm Lens with it...I have looked all around and I can't find a solution (converter of sorts?)...but thought I would ask the wise community before I sold it...is there something I am missing or is it absolutely incompatible?</p>

<p>I didn't know Canon made such a focal length. I think you are talking about a Tokina or Sigma lens, both of which are made for a Canon EF-S mount.<br>

The Canon EF-S 10-22 lens is obviously an EF-S lens and won't physically fit on a FF camera. Only EF mount lenses will fit the 5D2. I have the 16-35 II which is wider on a FF than a 12-24 is on a 1.6 crop.<br>

There are plenty of options on FF for a new lens to fill the gap left by your 12-24.</p>

<p>The Sigma 12-24 should work fine and the Tokina 12-24 should mount and work OK but will severely vignette.</p>

<p>The Sigma 12-24 has full frame coverage. It's not a crop-sensor lens. I suppose there could be software incompatibility with the 5D MkII, since older Sigma lenses have had a long history of requiring rechipping when used on new EOS bodies.</p>

<p>The only superwide zoom you can't mount on a 5D is the Canon EF-S 10-22. Tokina, Tamron and Sigma crop sensor lenses will all mount fine. They'll just vignette badly.</p>

<p>12 * 1.6= 19.2 mm So yes What Nathan said is correct. If the 12-24 is designed whether EFS or not for a crop sensor camera it will still not be as wide as a 16-35 or 17-40 on a 5D Mark II. I personally use the Canon 17-40 F4L on my 5D2 and I really enjoy that lens. I am spoiled now since I have been shoot L-series lenses 85 1.2L, 17-40 F4L, 24-70 F2.8L. i would definetely recommend selling what ever lens that is and upgrading to the one of teh two L-serices lenses recommended above. </p>

<p>I don't believe it will be a 19mm on the 5D MkII. 12mm is 12mm. You have to multiply by the crop factor when using a crop camera, but the 5D MkII is not a crop camera so there is no conversion needed, it will still look like a 12mm. However, the quality of this lens will not be up to par with the 16-35mm L and 17-40mm L.</p>

<p>FWIW, I tried the Sigma 12-24 on a 1Ds3 body. It mounted and functioned normally. I didn't buy it, however, because the IQ was a bit weak, especially at the lower end. Didn't seem worth it just to go wider than my 17-40L, which produces great results and is price competitive with the Sigma.</p>

<p>i actually have both the canon 17-40 and sigma 12-24 now, and i think the sigma is really nice. at 17mm and stopped down to f/16 the images from these two lenses are almost indistinguishable as far as sharpness. the canon has just the slightest edge in the corners... colors with the sigma are a tad warm, but this is easily corrected in post processing. i think that if you find a good copy of the sigma it can be an excellent performer.</p>

<p>Thank you for the responses and sorry for the delay! It IS the 10-22 (I have NO idea where I got 12-24 from...I was looking at a BUNCH of other lenses when I posted and my typing fingers and brain must have crossed the lenses wrong : )<br>

But! That being said, your responses here are great and answers many of my questions about wide angle on the 5dmk2...</p>