5D MK3 w/16-35 7D w/24-70 combination

paul_mori

<p>@H.P. What the hell? If you've nothing constructive to say then please fuck off.</p>

<p>Is this forum for photographers or Rockwell Level 0'ers?</p>

<p>I'm not interested in theories, but the sane opinions of anyone actually using this combo or with a 5D MKII...</p>

<p>Paul,</p>

<p> I own and frequently use the 5D Mk II with the 17-40, and the 7 D with the 24-70. I know it is not the exact combination you asked about but those are the lenses I have. I carry them over my photo vest which serves as my gadget bag on a dual strap. I am not inconspicuous when I walk around the city, but then I usually do this when covering events. Interestingly enough, people see me and seem to immediately disregard me as though I were part of the scenery. I like this combination very much it allows me to cover the range from fairly wide to short tele by simply picking up that body. So if I am wanting to grab something relatively wide like a large group or a shot with a monument or architectural or panoramic feature I can do it fairly quickly. If I am wanting to grab something a bit more intimate. Or get really close, just grab the 7D. This allows me to stroll the streets of Washington DC not unnoticed, but ignored. and have a super range of possibilities. I don't have anything bad to say about the combination except that it violates some peoples ideas of "the right way" to enjoy my hobby. </p>

<p>Thanks, Michael. Good man. I've been thinking it would be a very useful events combination going from (approx.) 16mm - 110mm.<br>

I'm interested in your opinion of image qualities between the two cameras with their respective lenses, particularly the background blur. If a foreground figure is in focus, and the back thrown out, do images from either camera (sensor and focal length notwithstanding) match reasonably well? When you've downloaded the day's shoot how do they compare?<br>

Thanks again,<br>

Paul. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"any working photogs or amateur documentary/street photogs here that are using this combination; 5D MK3 w/16-35 and 7D w/24-70? . . . I've been thinking it would be a very useful events combination going from (approx.) 16mm - 110mm."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, but I use APS-C w/16 to 35/2.8 and 135Format w/ 70 to 200/2.8, quite often.</p>

<p>Effective FoV equivalent: 26mm to 56 & 70 to 200 all at F/2.8<br />(Gap 57mm to 69mm)</p>

<p>Effective FoV equivalent available (<em>with swapping lenses</em>): 16mm to 320mm.<br />Gap - 57mm to 69mm.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>@H.P. What the hell? If you've nothing constructive to say then please fuck off.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What a nice polite person you are.</p>

<p>Just to set the scene, I use a 5D and a 40D, both with battery packs. I guarantee that they will attract plenty of attention, unless in a press scrum or a <em>very</em> touristy area.</p>

<p>If your intention is to capture slice of life pictures, this is not the kit to employ. For stuff like that, I use Leica (for film) or M43 for digital. In very sensitive areas, I'll use pocketable digitals like the Ixus 70 or the Coolpix S10.</p>

<p>More important though, is attitude. I would suggest that your outburst merely adds weight to my original suggestion that your interest lies in "playing photographer" rather than achieving interesting images.</p>

I almost have the combination you describe but cannot remember ever using it (my only difference is 5DII not 5DIII). For

street use I find a less obvious camera and prime work better (I usually use a Leica M8 with a 21mm - effective 28mm

lens). For some reason I have never liked the 24-70 on my 7D and usually use this lens on my 5DII. I actually tend to

find that I use my 16-35 II on my 7D or a 70-200 a lot more. If you explain why you think you need such a wide coverage

of lenses and bodies and what you are looking to achieve I could be more helpful.

<p>Indeed. HP's original comment was my first thought as well. Obviously everyone doesn't work the same, but a big portion of <em>street photography</em> and <em>documentary work</em> (amateur or not) is catching life as it happens. Having a kit on par w/ what most wedding photogs carry on them is NOT subtle. It ATTRACTS attention, and <em>diminishes</em> the appearance of genuine emotion in your subjects. IMLE of street photography - having too much gear can easily <em>destroy</em> the scene you are trying to capture.</p>

<p>While his comment was not perhaps appropriately respectful of your obvious talent and kit ;-) Your response is way beyond, and <em>completely</em> inappropriate. <em> You</em> solicited opinions in your post, and he gave it. Don't get all in a raging tizzy because his opinion did not fall completely into fawning line with your own. jeez.</p>

<p>Firstly, Philip. Thank you for your input.</p>

<p>H.P., get fucked. You know nothing about me. I am wanting intelligent discussion about gear.</p>

<p>My attitude? You started being a wanker by insinuating I was after attention. I realise the Internet is full idiots, but come on, at least try to moderate the snotty remarks.</p>

<p>That being said, thanks for you 10c worth regarding your preferred 'slice of life' kit.</p>

<p>I'd like to keep this discussion, however brief it might be, focussed and without snide remarks.</p>

<p>Marcus, you too?! I am not in a raging tizzy, you git. You deserve that comment. If someone insinuates your intentions are to be a poser then you have the right to call them out on it, don't you?<br /> <br /> BTW you are not corresponding with some amateur here. Hence the level of kit under discussion and my desire for the opinions of people with IQ's higher than a carrot.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>but come on, at least try to moderate the snotty remarks.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh dear, you do seem to have come off the medication far too soon. I'm sure you will be better in due course. In the meanwhile, contemplate this nice calm scene and breath slowly and deeply...</p>

<div>00b6l4-507435584.jpg.db2819cecc0838aa1542853cc5ce4467.jpg</div>

<p>@H.P. <em>I just don't like people swearing at me. I tend to react badly.</em><br>

<br /> Well, then you know what to do don't you? Or do you?<br>

<br /> You could start by not making baseless insinuations as to peoples motives. Another hint is to stay on topic. And if you've nothing constructive to say, keep your fingers away from the keyboard.<br>

<br /> Peter, it's more of a turn off to read through worthless posts that contribute nothing to our practice, and which seem little more than Internet baiting.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Peter, it's more of a turn off to read through worthless posts that contribute nothing to our practice, and which seem little more than Internet baiting.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>At the risk of being accused of more trolling, may I seek clarification? I just wonder if this shot is of you...</p><div>00b6lm-507439684.jpg.1cc86838b6b3f06609298c68b079f9b7.jpg</div>

<p>Is photo.net usually this bad? I can see there are some genuine people here. But H.P., why do you even bother? Do you use the combination of cameras and lenses in the thread title? Do you have <em>anything</em> to add? What are you? Another, what? Internet loser?<br>

<br /> Come on, tell me your experience of using the 5D MKIII w/16-35 alongside a 7D w/24-70, please?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You are awesome and I'm learning a lot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There you are, you <em>can</em> be nice when you try. Now show us some of your pictures, so we can advise you. Here are some more of mine...</p><div>00b6m9-507441884.jpg.8540d74a86f185e53c4a559e2b6fca81.jpg</div>