5D Mk II battery went south.

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by walter_strong|5, Mar 7, 2010.

1. I know there was another thread on this topic recently but I can't find it. Less than a year ago I purchased a Li-ion 7.2v 2000mAh battery for my 5D Mk II and that sucker is dead as a doornail. Maybe I'll go through my reciepts and see where I bought it and try to get a refund or exchange.

2. Well, after checking my invoice I see the brand name was Sakar and it was a $99 item. I'm for sure going to try and get an exchange.

3. As I recall Sakar made some of the worse lenses I have seen. Perhaps they're carrying on that same proud tradition in batteryville.

4. To my knowledge all Canon "chip" batteries which includes the 5D2 use a special charger that must only be used with a chipped battery. If you purchased a third party battery you may have fried it if you used the Canon charger. Third party batteries can be charged OK with third party chargers.

5. Walt, I don't have your battery. Maybe it went North.

6. Golly Dan, I hadn't even considered that possibility!

7. To make matters worse, I checked B&H for the OEM battery and the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 is a shade over $62, the SAKAR cost me $99.99!

8. I've got to imagine the SAKAR was a good battery, but don't know if I could have lived with the empty battery signals or any battery power meter..
    Good luck on the replacement.. This is Canon trying to get an exclusive market..

9. Have you checked that the contacts are clean? My third party 5D battery was showing up as low charge in the camera, but charged after a few minutes in the charger. It still showed up as low charge in the camera. I noticed some discoloration on the + terminal of the battery, and after cleaning the terminal, the battery charged normally.