5D Mark ll Dropped

<p>I dropped my 5D about three feet from the floor , it landed on an area hug so the fall was at least cushioned a bit. I checked the body and lens (24mm-105mm), their are no cracks in glass or mirrior and no rattling noise when I shake the lens or body.<br>

I shot some photos and all seems to be fine. My question is ...is their anything that might happen to the components of the camera or lens that might show up even though it all seems okay . Could I have done some damage internally that I cant see now . Im just concerned as it's still under warranty and would want to have it covered.<br>

Thanks<br>

Stella</p>

<p>I can't imagine that damage would be covered under the mfr. warranty, but it's a good sign that it seems to be working properly. To maintain the warranty you may want to consider spending the money with an authorized service center to make sure the drop caused no damage.</p>

<p>Sometimes your method of purchase, such as some credit cards, offer "insurance" coverage for your new purchase against damage and other forms of misfortune. You may want to look into that, too.</p>

<p>Warranty does not cover drops by the owner! No matter what, you'll have to pay for the repair yourself - unless your home owner's insurance covers it, but I doubt that and it is probably not worth opening a claim for that. Personally, given that everything seems to work just fine, I'd just keep using it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"<em>Could I have done some damage internally that I can't see now."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is a possibility, but the thing about hidden internal damage is that it is hidden. Unfortunately no one here can answer that question with any certainty, and only an inspection by an authorized Canon service center can definitively determine if you have caused any damage. If you really want to know for sure that everything is okay, then you are going to need to send it in for service.<br>

-</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I'm just concerned as it's still under warranty and would want to have it covered."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Warranty would be irrelevant, as the Canon warranty is for manufacturing defects, and would not cover any damage caused by user accidents. Unless you have a third party warranty (from your credit card company for example) that covers user damage, you will probably need to pay to have your 5D checked out.</p>

<p>I'd personally send it for a check-up in only if you have what is sometimes called a "mission critical" use for it coming up--that is, you're going, for example, on a once-in-a-lifetime trip soon and have to be sure it's OK.<br>

If the camera has been in heavy use and has any other little problems, a periodic checkup is not a bad idea every once in a while, I suppose.</p>

<p>Otherwise, do as HAL suggested, and just use it until it fails, and then send it in.<br>

It's probable that no damage was done, since that sort of thing nowadays tends to show up soon. Go out and do a lot of shooting with it in as many different modes, etc. as you can.</p>

<p>Three feet is not that much especially if it landed on a rug. Although I did hear some some stories about the 5D Mk II being very sensitive. In any case, I once dropped my 30D from about the same height that you did only on hard cement and nothing came out of it except a slight nick on the frame. I did go through the entire manual and checked every function to see if worked like it should.</p>