5D Mark III Question

david_gardner6

<p>Just got a 5D Mark III and I'm learning the ropes with it. So far there have been no huge issues, except this: The shutter butter does not actuate focusing. When I press AF-On, the camera focuses. Otherwise, no lens movement and the shots are out of focus. Is there a setting/feature somewhere that I'm missing, or is my new camera busted?</p>

<p>I also prefer to use the AF-On button for focusing. I hate for the camera to refocus when I hit the shutter button. Sometimes I intentionally focus on something past the object and then recompose. The camera will think I am trying to focus on whats directly in front of me and automatically refocus the camera. So i move this function to another button on the camera. However, i have never seen it come default like that... But , the camera is not busted just has lots of features. thats a lot of camera for a newbee.</p>

<p>Before the introduction of the AF-ON button, many users, myself included, transferred AF to the * button. I still do that, because I find that the * button falls much more naturally under my thumb. The AF-ON button can of course be used for exposure lock so that no functionality is lost; alternatively, it is possible to have one button using the registered AF point and one using the central AF point.</p>