5D Mark ii vs 1ds mark ii vs 1d mark iii

sean_lee4

<p>Personally, I chose low ISO IQ every time, so I guess that makes it the 5DII. If you desire fast autofocus for sports (and I can't blame you for that) then I'd chose the 1DsII over the 1DIII since I do prefer better IQ to faster FPS.</p>

<p>However, full frame is much more important for landscapes and architecture than it is for portraits and sports. That is why I use one full frame and one crop body. For your subjects I would chose a crop body but in my opinion the 1DIII does not compete with respect to IQ. I would research the 7D and 50D to see if they have the autofocus and FPS that will work for you. I love the build of the pro bodies but if the consumer bodies will outperform the pro, I'd take the consumer body.</p>

<p>Having just made a quick trip to dpreview.com, I'd be seriously considering the 7D for your needs.</p>

<p>Sean,</p>

<p>Portraiture and sports photography are almost diametrically opposed. Any camera optimized for

the one will be less than optimal for the other.</p>

<p>If this is a hobby, any of the three will be just fine. Whatever criteria you use to make the

decision, you won’t go worng by choosing amongst those three.</p>

<p>If you’re doing this professionally…well, if you were, you wouldn’t be asking

this question, and you certainly wouldn’t be asking it here.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Those are two different classes calling for two different camera's. Yes, you can use either one, and you will get the goods. I know many photographers that does both sports and portraits with a Canon 20D, with good results.<br>

But for "optimum" results you should use a 5D for portraits and 1D Mk3 for sports. But that is not set in granite, it is just an indication when you compare paper specs with each other, like camera response / image quality / AF / frame rate / etc</p>

<p>I wasnt asking which camera should i buy, i already have a 50D which i love for my needs, i was just hoping to learn something while asking this</p>

<p>and im hoping to do this professionally through late high school and college to make some money :)</p>

<p>Sean,<br>

Any of them can do the job, easily, but it is easier to take portraits with a faster fps camera than it is to shoot sports with a slower fps camera. The IQ from all three is amazing, so the subtleties of specs start to become more apparent, but really not that important.<br>

Personally I find less than 5 fps a handicap when shooting sports so, for me, the choice between your three bodies is easy, the 1D MkIII. It is more than capable of blindingly good portraits too, indeed the only reason I have all but dropped the 1D series for the 1Ds series is because of the super-wides and there being no availability for the 1.3 crop cameras.</p>

<p>Take care, Scott.</p>

When I am shooting a game (NCAA Ice Hockey right now) I bring a 1D mark III (and my 1D Mark II N, I know not an option

here, for backup or when I won't have time to change lenses).

When shooting team portraits I bring my 5D and my 1Ds Mark II. The difference, action quick autofocus and many frames

per second (1D Mark III). Portraits, image quality, image quality and more image quality and frame size keeps me from

falling over the balcony rail at one location while trying to get certain teams completely in the photo (the other 2). I agree

with Scott less then 5 fps puts a lot of pressure on a sports photographer to be ready and puts some uncertainty in your

mind as you just shot the goal of the year and aren't sure what part of it you got.