5D mark II not repairable due to water damage

daniel_bauza

<p>I was just informed by the Canon repair facility in NJ that my 5D mark II is unrepairable due to "extensive water damage". The parts alone will exceed the cost of replacing the camera body. (over $2000.00) I contacted customer service In Virginia where I was told that they stand behind their techs and that was the finding. All people I spoke with read the report back repeatedly. <br>

Let me explain... The camera was around my neck at Expedition Everest In Disney when it began to rain two weeks ago. I was less than fifty feet from the souvenir shop waiting to take a picture of my family members as they emerged on the ride from the side of the mountain. When the rain began I walked into the shop and wiped the camera off with my tee shirt. The camera went into continuous shoot mode for about three or four shots then shut down. That was the last time it worked. <br>

Canon asked me to send $310.00 to begin working on it. A week later I decided to check the status of the repair and I see that the camera is being returned to me unrepaired as per my request. <br>

As it stands after speaking to six different people in NJ and Virginia Canon will see if they can sell me a refurbished 5d mark II at a discounted price.<br>

Oh I forgot to mention... The water damage can be a bucket of water or a drop. Once it enters the main mechanism the tech determines to replace all internal parts he deems affected by possible corrosion. This after I argued the point of not having exposed the camera to extensive rain or having dropped it in water. <br>

Please share your like experiences as I find this very difficult to accept. The entire process and the way it has been handled has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. <br>

Had I been using the camera in the rain or dropped it in water I would not be writing this post. Are these bodies made of tissue paper?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It is seldom a drop, and the extent of the damage may depend on the lens used. I did use my original 5D in wet/dump conditions a lot (until it fell into the ocean :-) but always with a weather sealed lens (the lens had a rubber seal around the mount.) Even 1D class bodies are not "weather sealed" if used with not weather sealed lens. But, if the entire rig is properly sealed, i.e. 1D/1Ds/1Dx and perhaps 7D and 5D3 class body, a weather sealed lens and a filter on the front element, it can withstand a lot of water abuse in my experience: hours of shooting in pouring rain, being totally immersed in salt water (then in a few buckets of fresh water to runse it off), etc. Not that I advocate such behavior but sometimes one has no choice but shoot regardless of conditions.</p>

<p>Sorry to hear about that Daniel. If Canon says it's dead, then your only two choices are to try to get an independent repair shop to look at it, or to sell it for parts.</p>

<p>My buddy had his 5D II take a fall into salt water and it was DOA as a well. He was still able to sell it for parts on ebay for around $700-800. Something to consider when choosing your repair/replacement options. </p>

<p>That stinks, but water in just the wrong place is water damage regardless. No, they're not made of tissue. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not. I dropped a lens out of the back of a car once and it survived. I dropped a camera once and it did not. </p>

<p>[[As it stands after speaking to six different people in NJ and Virginia Canon will see if they can sell me a refurbished 5d mark II at a discounted price.]]</p>

<p>It doesn't sound like you're too keen on another camera but, there is something called the Canon Loyalty Program where you can exchange a broken camera for a heavily discounted refurbished one. You need to provide the serial number of the camera you're exchanging before you can place the order. I believe the number you call is 866-443-8002, press 2, and ask about the loyalty program. According to one website, the current price for a 5D II through the program is ~$1400. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for your response Michael, I understand and agree with your statement. I'm just so upset over how little exposure it took to fry this camera. I didn't even take the shot! lol <br>

Sheldon, I will consider the ebay option... The body has about 500 to 1000 activations if that. At lead I can put that money towards another body if all else fails.<br>

Rob, Canon NJ did offer the loyalty program as an option but they have no 5D's at the moment. Thanks. The price is correct .$1400.00</p>

<p>Living in the tropics I deal with downpours regularly so I keep a micro fiber terry cloth and plastic bag at ready. Prior to using these items, I killed off a few cameras during brief downpours, including both Canon and Nikon (actually the Canon A2 came back to life a week later and worked fine for years). During the last 3 years, I've shot extensively with a 5D2 in the rain, fog and waterfall mists and it did fine with my cloth, bag (and umbrella when using a tripod).</p>

<p>My experience is that sweaty t-shirts are not terribly absorbent and tend to smear water around and force it into places you don't want it to go like seams, wheels, switches and nested barrels. Dabbing with a micro fiber terry cloth works a lot better as it quickly absorbs the water without forcing it into sensitive areas. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>If you do a search over at Luminous Landscape there was an incident on a group photo trip to Antarctica where there was a multiple failure (from water damage) of 5D2s...apparently the problems occurred from (a) shooting outside in cold rainy weather and then bringing the camera into a warm room to dry; and/or (b) light salt spray.</p>

<p>Did you bring the camera into an air-con room after it became wet outside? That might have exacerbated the problem...</p>

<p>Anyway, the upshot in the discussion at Luminous Landscape is that the 5D2 is not weathers sealed at some key points - especially if you use the camera with a grip. The widespread (massive) failure of 5D2s on that Antarctica trip (soon after its release mind you) may be one reason why Canon "improved" the weather sealing on the new 5D3...anyway, if you can read the discussion by many photographers from that trip - they were angry with Canon - and there may be some advice for you about what to do next.</p>

<p>I could understand if the user had dropped into a swimming pool (like I just did with my iPhone 4 -- Ouch!). I've been outside in the rain with just about every camera I have had. I've been careful, trying to dash out and dash in, using an umbrella, etc., but I've definitely gotten a few drops of rain on the cameras. Hard to believe that they are THAT fragile. </p>

<p>Maybe I should go back to the Leica M2 when I need to be in the rain.</p>

<p>[[but I've definitely gotten a few drops of rain on the cameras. Hard to believe that they are THAT fragile.]]</p>

<p>Again, it's not necessarily the volume of water, but /where/ the water fell and how it entered the camera that matters. </p>

<p>I must admit that companies who blindly stand by the judgments of their employees, without knowing whether they're right or wrong right or wrong, go down a lot in my estimation. Lets face it, if the OP is telling the full story then the Canon tech's assessment is likely to be wrong, or over-dramatic. I use my Canon 5D Mkii in the rain quite often with no ill effects at all. </p>

<p>Here's the problem</p>

<p>"the tech determines to replace all internal parts he deems affected by <em>possible</em> corrosion." Now I don't know whether these are your words or Canon's but its highly likely that this is precisely what has happened and you're paying the price for an over-zealous and ultra conservative technician, or even perhaps a technician that cannot diagnose what's actually wrong and can only suggest that you need to replace everything. At the very least , given the extreme consequences, Canon should be offering to get a senior technician to look and the camera and draw independent conclusions.</p>

<p>If it were me I'd be looking to source an independent repairer , and if I could source a cost-effective repair I'd be sure to let the person running Canon USA know the score.</p>

<p>The OP's incident is extremely unfortunate but hardly typical of the 5D2. Nobody here knows the details of what really happened and the devil is always in the details. I'm careful but I have gotten lots of rain and salt spray on my 5D2 for brief periods many dozens of times and as recently as two weeks ago. Perhaps the OP's camera had a defect, and surely there is more to the story than any of us know.</p>

<p>I recall a poster with a water damaged 10D at Pop Photo forum that Canon refused to covered under warranty (he duplicated his post on nearly every forum). He had photos and the interior of the camera suffered extreme corrosion from salt water. He stated he had never been near the ocean but had sweaty hands so either the camera seals were defective or it had shipped with salt water damage. I don't know if Canon or he was right but I know my 10D spent several years on or near tropical big wave beaches and was covered in salt spray every week. I wiped it down after each shoot (rinsed off the UV filter in the sink!) and kept covered the camera with a towel when left on a tripod for hours on end.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Gentlemen, I appreciate all your responses. The camera just arrived on my porch with a note from Canon stating that it was being returned at my request unrepaired. <br>

To those who have accepted what I wrote as fact, I thank you.<br>

To those who are more skeptical and question my integrity by comparing my case to that of other individuals who may not have been totally honest in presenting the facts of their stories I can only say that what I've written here is what has transpired and if the camera had been exposed to any extensive period of rain or dropped in water I would not generate a posting such as this. <br>

I requested that Canon have another tech look at the camera but the customer service supervisor in Chesapeake Virginia said the findings would be the same and persisted in saying that this camera would not be repaired. The only option she offered me was the possibility of a refurbished body at a reduced price.<br>

I wish to make it very clear that I am an end user who is in no way affiliated with any camera manufacturer or retailer. I've owned Nikon and Canon gear and consider both to be excellent. This is my first negative experience which honestly has me perplexed.</p>

<p>I haven't lost a camera yet due to water damage, knock on wood. </p>

<p>Best advice when it starts raining and you're out in it - get to shelter ASAP. Cover the camera with anything that you have handy to keep it as dry as possible. I've gotten drenched so my camera could stay dry. </p>

<p>If it does get wet, resist the temptation to fire it up to see if it still works. Leave it off until you have dried off all visible water. Then leave it off longer - overnight works well... Remove the lens. Let any moisture on the inside dry out. If possible put it in a sealed container with packets of silica gel - or if you don't have that - use white rice. The rice will draw out the moisture (just be careful not to get any in the camera. </p>

<p>After a day in treatment, you can try to fire it up again. If you turn it on too soon after exposure to water, the water will short out the circuits, which is what it sounds like happened to this one. And yes - it is not about the volume of water, it is like real estate - Location, Location, Location. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I had a similar experience with a 100mm L macro that got wet. Canon totaled it. I received it back AFTER I bought a and used a replacement, and it worked. When I called to complain, their argument was that they will only repair it if they can repair it to the point where they can stand behind it as they would a refurb. He explained what would have to be done to reach that point with my lens, including replacing circuit boards that MIGHT fail, and the cost would have been more than a new lens.</p>

<p>11 months later, it still works.</p>

<p>This is one more reason why Canon's new policy (in which they are following in the footsteps of Nikon), under which they will not sell parts to third party repair shops for their new cameras, is so bad. The consumer should be free to say: OK, replace that one part that failed, and I will gamble on the rest. Canon will not do that, and they (and Nikon) are in the process of killing off any independent repair shops that might. This will of course also eliminate price competition for repairs.</p>

<p>I might try to escalate the problem up the management chain a bit. Write to whoever the head of Canon USA is, or the head of their consumer electronics divison is. They must list all their executive officers for the US somewhere on their website.</p>

<p>The 5D MkII is sold as being pretty weathersealed. There's no way it should fail after a few seconds in a light shower. People have used then in downpours with no problems. They're better sealed when used with a weathersealed lens of course, otherwise water can get in via the lensmount.</p>

<p>Your problem is that Canon can only tell there is internal water damage. They don't know if you dunked it underwater for a day, shot outdoors in a hurricane for 6 hours or a few raindrops fell on it as you claim. By the time they got it I assume it had dried out, so how can they tell? I'm sure 90% of people sending in water damaged cameras probably claim that the camera was only caught in a brief shower.</p>

<p>Even if there was some defect in one of the seals, if it's outside the warranty period, they aren't technically responsible. Manufacturing defects are only repaired for free during the warranty period. That applies to pretty much everything whether it's a car, a camera or a toaster.</p>

<p>You might get a sympathetic ear from a manager, then again you might not. You were very unlucky, you might never buy another Canon camera based on your experience, but Canon are well within their rights to decline to repair it. It sucks, but "that's life" as they say. Repair of water damaged gear is often declined. There's just no way to know where the water got to and what corrosion processes are underway. They could repair the obvious immediate damage only to have some other part fail in a month, then another part after that. The only way to be sure is to basically replace the entire insides of the camera, and if you're going to do that it's probably cheaper to buy another one.</p>

<p>Bob,<br>

I thank you for taking the time to read my posting and respond in kind. I understand what you are saying and realize I am holding the very short end of the stick . As you pointed out, just about anyone would say that a dunk in the Atlantic was just a couple of drops from a passing shower.<br>

I will follow your advice and contact Canon corporate. Maybe my luck will change and I'll find that 'sympathetic ear' I'm in need of. </p>

I don't doubt your story.

My personal experience is different than yours. I have been in driving rain storms with no problem. I was out on a

sailboat in the ocean and got caught by a wave that nearly carried me over the side and the 5DMII camera kept working.

I count that one a sheer luck!

There are no end of reasons as to why your camera stopped working then mine kept working. Anything from poorly

manufactured to some unseen damage that occurred after it left the factory. The there are small rubber gaskets around

the various doors,etc, they get torn, water comes in. The side rubber covers for USB connections, if not closed all the

way or damage could let in a lot of water.

<p>I had the same thing happen a few years ago. One of my 5Ds quit after I shot a wedding in Mexico. Canon Canada said it was ruined from water damage. About 8 months later I dropped it off at Canon Thailand for a second opinion and it came back working after a clean. ($8)<br>

No explanation as I hadn't told them about it's previous trip to the shop. </p>

<p>Might pay to have camera insurance. Didn't VISA used to advertise they double the warranty so anything you paid for with a VISA card no matter what happens to it within double the warranty period. They used to have a commercial showing a kid racing his new remote control car down a stair well, Of course I have not seen that commercial in 1o years or more. But if you paid for the camera with Visa they may double your warranty so if anything breaks, it gets fixed or replaced if you are still within double the warranty time.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTBGuqGASj8">This is the only recent commercial I could find on YouTube.</a></p>

<p>Worth calling your card company and see if they offer that if you bought it that way.</p>

Cheers, Mark