5D Mark II - New version?

stella_blunt

<p>Canon hasn't announced anything about a new version.</p>

<p>The original 5D was released in 2005, and the Mark II in 2008, so my guess is that we might see a Mark III sometime in 2011 if they stick with a three-year cycle.</p>

<p>Stella, I bought two other cameras before I got the camera I really really wanted all along ~ the original 5D. I dithered, and bothered and wondered if I could justify it , would it become cheaper at some later stage etc... etc...</p>

<p>I just have to kick myself (when I think about it) that I didn't get the camera I really wanted when I should have! Of course there will be a 'later' camera sooner or later, but you will miss out on a whole lot of 'living' waiting and wondering about it....</p>

<p><< Exits stage left to kick himself in private!</p>

<p>The real answer is that nobody who knows such information will post that to this forum. It is merely an assumption that since there were 3 years between the 5D and 5D Mark II, there will be another 3 years until the 5D Mark III. That is a reasonable assumption, but Canon is not locked to that schedule, as the Mark III may arrive earlier or later than 3 years since the Mark II.</p>

<p>Photokina will being in late September. Most likely, Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. etc. will announce new cameras and lenses leading to Photokina, some time between August to mid September. If you can wait, I would say wait 2 more months and see whether anything is announced. Even though it is not the 5D Mark III, Canon could announce something that you are interested in.</p>

<p>Stella, in the digital world, there will always be newer models coming out "in the near future."</p>

<p>As some of the others have said, if you really want a 5D II, don't hesitate to get one. It's a great camera, and won't degrade in quality when its successor is released. And you won't have missed using it in the meantime.</p>

<p>I hear the EOS 5D 11.1 is due later this summer. Basically the same camera but with minor tweaks: iTunes 9x compatibility, tweaked AF algorithms, 2GB additional OS RAM and gaskets around the QCD and joystick.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>I hear the EOS 5D 11.1 is due later this summer. Basically the same camera but with minor tweaks: iTunes 9x compatibility, tweaked AF algorithms, 2GB additional OS RAM and gaskets around the QCD and joystick.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'll pass, then. It's 2010 and iTunes STILL sucks.</p>

<p>It will take more than a year to announce the 5d3, and even if you wait on that, the 5d4 will make the consumerist part of you feel bad when it comes out anyway!<br>

As for iTunes, it runs wonderfully fast on macs and horribly slow on windows, luckily I have the former (with the latter sadly installed on a small portion of the hd)!</p>