5D Mark II Live Histogram with non-Canon lenses

pbarnes

<p>I am the proud owner of a new 5D MII and I love the ability to see a histogram before I take a shot using Live View Exposure Simulation. But it doesn't work properly with my Pentax 645 MF lenses (mounted with an adapter) - am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation of Live View? (By not working properly I mean that the exposure suggested by the live view histogram results in an image that is many stops over-exposed)</p>

<p>Please be more specific about exactly how you are doing this.</p>

<p>When your Pentax lens is mounted on your 5D Mark II, does the camera display an aperture of "0.0" in the viewfinder, or some other number? If it says "0.0", then the camera is in stop-down metering mode, but otherwise, it isn't. If it isn't, then you need to set the aperture on the camera as wide as it will go, and leave it there. The trick here is that with a non-EF lens, you are really always doing stop-down metering because the camera has no way to control the lens' aperture, and for accurate metering you need the camera to think the lens will be shot wide open regardless of the actual aperture you're using.</p>

<p>I've used Nikon and Pentax lenses on my 5D Mark II, but not in Live View mode. Using Canon's Eg-S focusing screen, I find that I can get sharp, accurately exposed images using the viewfinder by focusing with the lens wide open, then stopping down to meter and shoot.</p>

<p>Craig,<br>

on the top screen it displays 00 for aperture, and on the back screen F00. <br>

Mark, no, no chip in the adapter, and no need, there are no electronics in the Pentax-A medium format lenses I am using.</p>

<p>What is interesting is that using Live View - Stills Display mode, instead of Exposure Simulation, I get very accurate metering, more accurate than using my 5D - I have these lenses on a shift adapter so I can shift them in relation to the body, which in my Pentax bodies and the 5D results in inaccurate metering when the lens is shifted. With the M II, the metering is pretty accurate even when the lens is shifted 18mm. But no accurate Live Histogram:-(</p>

<p>Craig, what I also like is that using Live View and the magnifier I can focus very easily with the lens stopped down - even in low light it is easier for me than using the viewfinder and the lens wide open. Have you tried it with your manual lenses?</p>