5D Mark II ir 7D

jacqui valdivia

<p>This is a "if you were me" question. I am a wedding portrait photographer, and am currently rather slow, but I am planning to ramp up. My 30D (my back up) just broke so now I am contemplating.. if you were me would you get the 5D Mark II hope that business picks up and I have the camera I planning on getting eventually.. or would you buy the 7D which makes a great back up for the time being till business picks up?</p>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>Leaning 7D. Even though many will argue the 5DII, it seems like it will have the same sensor size that you are currently working with which is important for your lens kit-plus, we don't know how long "eventually" means-by then a more suitable alternative may have been announced or even released. Not sure what you are using for your primary, but chances are the 7D could fill that slot as well, unless it's a more recent 1 series.</p>

<p>If you were shooting sports or birds, I'd say go with the 7D because of the faster frame rate and tweaked AF. But landscapes, portraits, weddings and macro are all about IQ. I shoot with both the 5D2 and 7D, and 5D2 IQ is a level better than the 7D, a significant factor for big prints. The huge VF is a plus too. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I have an older 5D, but if I were in your shoes right now, I'd go for the 7D. Even if you eventually go to a larger sensor, it will remain a useful camera with many advantages, including longer reach for your lenses.</p>

<p>In hard times, it's better to be cautious. You might want to think about a used or refurbished body instead of a new camera right now.</p>

<p>5D- then I'd suggest something used or refurbished such as a 50D, or go for the the 5DII with the 5D as backup.<br /> I wouldn't drop the money on the 7D in this situation because it does not share the same sensor size and you could save several hundred in the short term until business picks up or an alternative is announced. I favor using the same sensor size because you don't want another set of variables that a 1.6 crop factor introduces to deal with during a shoot should the primary fail.</p>

<p>I'd lean away from a 5d2, in your position. If your primary is a 5D1, then I'd say forget the 7D also, and go w/ a 50D. It does most of what a 7D is capable of (really all, if you're just doing wedding photography) and at 1/2 to 1/3rd the price is a compelling choice. There's also things like commonality of batteries, a BG (same as the 30D) to consider. From a business perspective, during a non-growth time, a conservative, but capable choice is usually best. To be honest, in this instance, business considerations take precedence over even IQ.</p>

<p>To be honest, personally, I'd consider a second 5 first, but, given that you're used to using a crop as a backup, the dual format kit shouldn't be a handicap, and the 50D does have some specific advantages over the 5D which may impactin a wedding (for example a 6.3fps burst during the bouqet toss). The sole advantage of a 5D is that, even 6.5 years old, it's held it's value like no other digital camera, <em>ever</em>. I would expect it to continue to do so (within reason), so, should things continue to go poorly, and you shut down, you have a tangible asset.</p>

<p>If I were you, I would get the 5D II and used the 5D as your backup. Since you're a wedding photographer, you would want to use a full frame body as your primary. If you get the 7D, will it still be your back up? Also, will you be upgrading the 5D to a mark II in the near future?</p>

<p>FYI, the 7d and the 5d2 for that matter has different top button placement than the 5d/50d et al. It is annoying when you are in the middle of a shoot and switch b/t cameras.<br>

Anyways, while it would be exciting to get a newer camera, having food on the table and paying bills are even more important. In that sense, I echo some suggestions for a sued 50d (or 40d). They can be had for hundreds as everyone is flocking to the 7d/60d.<br>

While older, the IQ of the 5d is as good if not better than the 5d2 until high ISO comes into play.<br>

BTW, you can contact Canon USA to utilize the CLP for your broken 30d and get a refurb 50d for $500... body only. Awesome deal IMHO.</p>

<p>I had a 5D mkII, mine had a "creaking CF door" and it drove me crazy as every time I held it, it felt "tinny" to the point I sold it and bought a 7D and am very happy now. No real difference in image quality, save money and get a 7D or wait for the 5D mkIII :-)<br>

Phil.</p>