5D Mark II flaw

david_smith85

<p>I recently bought an EOS 5D Mark II camera body from Calumet. The camera's files have a vertical line in the picture. It is in the middle and goes down around 1/3 of the frame. It is most noticeable on landscape pictures in the sky. I didn't notice it at first until I shot some landscapes. I now have gone back and looked at my files, it is present in all of them.<br>

I sent the camera to Canon's service center in Irvine California. After a week they returned it unrepaired saying "origin of problem not detected". I don't know if that means they acknowledge the problem and just couldn't fix it or couldn't find it. Anyway they should have replaced the camera if it can't be repaired. I called Canon's facility and told them that they didn't fix the problem. They apologized and told me to send them the camera again. I did and after two weeks I got the camera back. They stated "part replaced, camera meets factory specs, firmware updated, camera cleaned". The files still have the line in it and they actually gave me an older firmware version not an updated one. I don't know how a camera can have a line in the picture and meet factory specs. I did send them a print showing the line plus a CD with RAW files so I can't see how they couldn't see the problem.<br>

Now I have contacted Calumet to see if they can do something. I contacted Canon first because I thought that is what Calumet would have said in the first place. Calumet's response was to pass along my message to their Canon rep to see what he says. I am still waiting for a response. I would have thought that Calumet would have offered to replace the camera since it is flawed and Canon can't seem to fix it. I'm not sure what to do next. Calumet may come thru but I don't know.<br>

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have not heard of lines in the picture before. I feel let down by Canon. Has anyone else had problems with their service department?</p>

<div>00Tgt9-145565584.JPG.13cad358c63c9eeeb866cca0c0cf3ff1.JPG</div>

<p>I would start with Calumet - you bought the camera from them and it is their responsibility to deal with Canon. Keep pushing them - this is not acceptable. The line is clearly visible! If Canon cannot fix it, then Calumt needs to exchange your camera.</p>

<p>It's just my guess, but I think the sensor array is defective and your camera will not be fixed until it is replaced, which is why Canon has failed to fix the problem in two tries.</p>

<p>Calumet can only speak on your behalf. The real problem here is that the service center isn't doing their job. You need to escalate this with both parties because it's now been 3 weeks with a defective camera and you've taken every reasonable step to demonstrate the problem. This situation is completely unacceptable.</p>

<p>If you had bought it within 30 days you should just return the camera, do a chargeback, and buy from somewhere else. Or at least threaten to do so. That should get someone to take notice. Or threaten with legal action. You were sold a defective product--a very expensive one; Canon has had two chances to rectify the problem, and now there are no excuses.</p>

<p>David, you've taken a patient and thorough approach to this issue, and in two chances to remedy the problem Canon has failed.</p>

<p>You'd think after the problems and recalls with the 1DMkIII and now the G10 that Canon would be ramping up its quality control and customer service. Seemingly not.</p>

<p>I hope Canon comes through with an effective repair or a replacement camera for you soon.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'd worry about "Canon quality control" if there had been a lot of reports of this problem - but this is the first I've heard. This is how rumors get started and spin out of control. So let that one go, Brent.</p>

<p>On the other hand, it really does appear - from the photo and from your report that this appears in all photos from this camera - that your unit has a problem. At a minimum it seems to me that Canon should replace the sensor assembly, but it also seems that Calumet should be your proxy for getting this taken care of at this point.</p>

<p>Good luck resolving this issue.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>David. I'll only add and confirm what this looks like: a rare sensor flaw. You've been getting the runaround and Calumet owes you big time. Calumet should replace your camera now and then they deal with Canon as the problem is the defective camera and the problem therefore is owned by Canon.</p>

<p>Super simple, don't know why no one is acting like a man or a pro and stepping up to do you right.</p>

<p>As an owner of the Canon 5D Mk II, had you registered your camera, you should have received the 'EOS Digital for Professionals' package that includes the following privileges:<br>

1. $100 voucher for out of warranty repair service.<br>

2. 3 (working) day turnarround time for Canon factory service center repairs.<br>

3. 20% discount on service and parts for Canon factory service repairs.<br>

<strong>4. Priority technical support.</strong><br>

<strong>5. Exclusive email support address</strong><br>

6. Automatic email notification of firmware and software updates.<br>

I think it's too late to ask Calumet for factory defective issues. You should either call the Canon priority techinacal support 1 (800) OK CANON or email to Canon exclusive email support <a href="mailto:eosdigitalsupport@cits.canon.com">eosdigitalsupport@cits.canon.com</a> with your sample picture showing possible CMOS defective.</p>

<p>Is there any possibility that the image file is being corrupted during the transfer from your camera (or card) to your computer? Have you tried downloading to a different computer. I admit this is unlikely to solve your problem, but it would be easy to try, and it would explain why Canon couldn't find the problem.</p>

<p>I hat to say it, but the first thing I noticed in the picture was the line even before I read what the article was about. It's not just a line down the top middle, the exposure of the sky and the transition between the top of the mountains and the sky looks different on the right side after the line. That is unacceptable for an almost $3000 camera to be doing that. It almost looks like a Circular Polrizer filter but there would be a line like that just a change in exposure.<br>

I would definetly send it back AGAIN and highlight with a amarker where the problem is in your photos. <br>

Good Luck - PS I just ordered my Canon 5D Mark II from Adorma and sincerely hope I don't have this or any issues.</p>

<p>I have had this problem, but not on a Canon. It was on a Nikon D50. It took quite some convincing at the camera shop to get them to beleive their was a line. I finally brought in a series of 10 photos taken on different lenses etc and showed them the same line in each.<br /> <br /> The issue was that the line wasn't showing up when they shot their "white wall" because it was only really obvious when over a dark area.<br /> <br /> They ended up sending the camera back to Nikon who replaced the sensor.<br /> <br /> Not sure if it is the way to go, but maybe you took the camera into a local dealer, and got them on your side (in other words believing there is a problem) then have that dealer send the camera back to Canon with a ticket, Canon may examine the issue more closely.<br /> <br /> It seems that people always have better luck getting repairs when going through a dealer than direct with the camera manufacturer.</p>

<p>This really looks like a sensor problem. Canon 5D Mark II (like all FF cameras, I think) has stitched sensor chip, that is it's made from two smaller pieces of silicon. The line appears to be perfectly halving the image, which would suggest uneven sensitivity of the two parts. I think flaw like this is good reason to require replacement.</p>

<p>try this... take the camera back to calumet. but before you do record the serial number. then go to a different calumet or other retailer and buy the 5D Mark II again! Hopefully it wont have the same serial #... but if it does... your just the luckiest canon user of all time!</p>

<p>Most retailers have a DOA policy which means they replace with new a product which fails within an initial period of time (ie. 30 dyas), suppliers hate this as the retailer then just returns the camera for a credit and it is then thier problem to fix or write it off. <br>

Not sure how you purchased it but some credit cards also offer you assurance if you have a problem with a product purchased.<br>

I only mention these solutions as it is often easier than getting a new camera fixed.<br>

When I bought my 5D MkII it had a large spot in he viewfinder but not on the image fortunately, Canon serviced it and told me it had been removed from the focussing screen, since then, every now and again it turns up again, anoying but how may times do you want them openng up your camera for repair. I wish I had just taken it back to the retailer and insisted on replacement for a new one but alas it is now too late.</p>

<p>I think one of the ways corporations are dealing with the bad economy these days is borrowing a trick from the health insurance industry: refuse to do anything until you absolutely have to. <br>

Just the other day I bought an expensive item for my drumset, and a piece was missing from the box. The guy at the store calls the company rep, and the rep says, "there's no way that part was missing, it's impossible for the box to leave the factory without that part." Oh, so I'm a liar I guess, thanks for your help. Finally the store clerk pulled the missing part off the display model and gave it to me, and said, "I can't believe the way these company reps are behaving these days." Seems like a pattern...</p>