5D Mark II ERROR 80.......HELP!

paul_armes

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

I am hoping that someone may have run into this issue or have found some information regarding this problem some where on the web. I have searched high and low but I cannot find an exact match to the problem I had. Here is the story...<br>

I was covering a wedding at the weekend and half way through the group shots I go to take a shot and the shutter opens and hangs. Completely baffled I check my settings in case I managed to knock something while arrange the group as it seemed like I had it set on a bulb exposure. Settings are fine, set to something like 80th of a sec. Camera has power, just can’t see down the view finder as the shutter is stuck up. So I turn the camera off and on again. As soon as the power is off, shutter closes. Fire again, shutter gets stuck again. <br>

The only way to get the shutter to close is to turn the camera off. I take lens off flash off. Reattached everything turn camera on and I get the Error 80 on the top LCD. So I continue with my back up camera.<br>

Once I get a break I go back to my bag, turn camera back on and I still get the Error 80. Then I decided to take the batteries out of the battery grip and I left it for 10 seconds put them back in and hey presto, errors gone and its back to normal.<br>

Funnily enough I checked the shutter count of the camera the day before and it was around 75,000. Half the stated life span.<br>

The only thing I can find on the net that came close to this problem was related to the power connection between the battery grip and camera body. I am certain this isn’t my issue as the power never failed when the problem occurred. From what I understand the Error 80 is more of a generic error which can cover many things.<br>

Any thoughts? </p>

<p><a href="http://tallyns.blogspot.ca/2009/10/canon-error-codes-revealed.html">http://tallyns.blogspot.ca/2009/10/canon-error-codes-revealed.html</a></p>

<h3 >Canon Error Codes Revealed</h3>

Direct from a source at Canon, we have the basics to shed at least a tiny bit of light on the various error codes Canon is using for the 5D Mark II and beyond. While none of these error codes reveal enough information to allow you to do repairs on your own, any amount of information can be comforting when dealing with these errors if they occur.

10 - Malfunction related to files has been detected.

20 - Malfunction related to the mechanical mechanism has been detected.

30 - Malfunction related to the shutter has been detected.

40 - Malfunction related to the power source has been detected.

50 - Malfunction related to the electric control has been detected.

60 - not used on 5Dm2

70 - Malfunction related to images has been detected.

80 - Malfunction related to the electric control of images has been detected.

90 - not used on 5DM2

These error codes relate specifically to the 5D Mark II but our source says they probably apply "across the board to all cameras after the 5D Mark2."

<p>I have had that error code with a 7d and had a variety of fixes. Errors tend to revolve around communictaion issues between camera and lens. One version was resolved with a thorough clean, another was a problem with the focus drive in the lens itself whihc had to be replaced.<br>

It is often possible to clear the error by removing the battery and then replacing it after a few seconds.<br>

I have also had a version where the camera freezes with no error codes - canon tell me that this may be a fault with the miror box and costs $600. It hasnt happened in the last 800 photos so I haven't worried about fixing it yet.<br>

Hope this helps, good luck</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hi, I have just had this error message appear on my new 5D Mk II. I was trying out live view and after it had been on for a while I got some bright white flashes across the screen then a lot of purple lines. Now the screen is mainly purple. By taking the battery out the error message goes away but the live view screen still has purple line on it.<br>

Other wise the camera is working fine with normal viewfinder mode. View of info and replaying photos on the LCD is also fine.<br>

Looks like it will have to go in for repairs.</p>

• 10 months later...