5D IV focus point selection problem

bfmelton

EDIT: Problem solved. Under custom controls, I set the joystick to direct AF point selection.

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 5D IV, moving up from 5D III, and I have a problem. I think and hope it's operator error, but if the solution is in the manual it has eluded me.

When I half-press the shutter button, I am unable to select/move the AF point with the joystick (and the focus points, incidentally, stay black). To activate the joystick and use it to move my AF point, I first have to press the AF point selection button, at which time all AF points light up in red and the joystick can then move to different AF points.

back-button focus by using the AF-on button yields similar results.

Is this a bug or a feature? Have I unwittingly set the camera to do this, or did it come this way? If the latter, how can I make it work like my 5D III and have the AF point selectable immediately upon shutter button half-press?

Please note I am NOT here talking about changing the AF area selection mode (toggling among single point, zone, large zone, etc. by pushing the AF point selection button and then turning the main dial); I am talking about selecting/changing a focus point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by bfmelton

I think and hope it's operator error,

Press the shutter button halfway, press AF Selection button on the back, it is the button farthest to right in the right upper corner, then you can use the joystick to move the focal point. Also pressing the shutter halfway and the AF selection button then pressing M-Fn button (button directly above the back wheel at 12 o'clock) will allow you to toggle between single focal point, cluster size or focal area size.

It is just how it is designed to work, so it is a feature. Hope this helps. After using the camera for a while it will become second nature.

• Like 1
Cheers, Mark