5D (full frame) Lenses

lucid image

I hope I am not being redundant with this question. I did a

quick search on the board's archives and could not find a direct

answer, so here it is...is there a list of Canon and third party

lenses that are compatible with both 1.6 and full frame sensors. I

currently own a 20D (and love it), but would like to ensure that

my 'cash for glass' goes into something I won't be selling on EBay

when the time comes to go full frame. Thanks in advance.

Sean

The following are fully compatible with a 5D: all Canon EF mount lenses; Canon mount versions of the following - All current Sigma lenses that don't have DC in their names; All Tamron lenses that don't have Dii in their names; All Tokina lenses except the 12-24. Additionally, there are other lenses from manufacturers such as Cosina that are EF compatible and a whole raft of lenses from Nikon, Olympus, Leica, Zeiss et al. that can be used with adaptors with manual focus and stop down metering.

Canon EF-S lenses won't even mount on a 5D and are only for 1.6 crop cameras (though with some you can get them to mount using a hacksaw). The excluded third party lenses above all work on 1.6 crop bodies, as do all other lenses that work on the 5D. Third party crop camera lenses can be mounted on a 5D, but only a few of them have a large enough image circle over part of their zoom/aperture range to provide full frame coverage - the rest of the zoom/aperture range will result in black corners much as if you were using a circular fisheye.

On the Canon side, all lenses that are usable on full-frame work on a 1.6x - with the possibility that very fast lenses or TS lenses might get a bit of unwanted vignetting on 1.6x because of the smaller mirror box.