5D Dichroic Mirror Etching: Send to Canon Repair?

danny_klein

<p>Images from my 5D (at f/16+) show etching of the dichroic mirror, which is confirmed by test shots (f/22, uniformly lit subject, etc). I see two options:</p>

<p>1. Send the camera to Canon - it's less than a year old and I have a warranty card, but I don't know if they will warranty this repair.<br>

2. Forget about it.</p>

<p>I have a backup Rebel XT, but naturally would rather not part with my 5D for months. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with Canon repair? How long will my camera be in service? How expensive will it be for them to fix the dichroic mirror?</p>

<p>FYI, test and real world shots here:<br>

http://www.ece.ucsb.edu/~djklein/img/IMG_2457_edited.jpg<br>

http://www.ece.ucsb.edu/~djklein/img/moreSpots.JPG</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This camera was purchased used, and I should have been more careful about checking the sensors before buying (duh, ugh, argh!). I have no clue if this is due to a manufacturing defect, or a problem caused by the previous owner. I cleaned the sensor with E2 + SensorSwabs (in hopes of getting rid of the bright spots, but they didn't budge while the dust and everything else did).</p>

<p>So does it effect your pictures? Show in the viewfinder. Is there a real problem? After twenty years or more with Canon single lens reflex cameras( quite a few of them) I hardly clean anything. I just put up with stuff on the focusing screen until I get around to blowing it off. If it doesn't budge I just leave it there. There is probably something I don't know but how do you tell the spots are on the mirror and not on the focusing screen or the sensor? I occasionally use a hand blower on the sensor also but only if I see it in a picture like say a hair. I currently have a 5D and an XTi. </p>

<p>Hi Dick,<br>

The spots are etched into the IR filter of the sensor (not the reflex mirror). Thus, they do not appear in the viewfinder. They affect pictures with small apetures.</p>

<p>If the IR filter on the sensor of your camera was etched, would you send it in to be repaired?</p>

<p>It's looks like either residue from a wet cleaning on top of the sensor glass, or under the sensor glass. It might even be that nasty oil they sometimes use around the sensor that smears onto the glass during cleaning.</p>

<p>Try a wet cleaning first. See if it moves.</p>

<p>Thanks Ed. However, I have tried a wet cleaning, which is effective at moving around the dust and leaving lots of new residue spots, but I do believe that the IR filter is truely etched. SO, assuming for now that there IS a problem with the IR filter (dichroic mirror), how would you proceed?</p>

<p>Now I get you Danny. I think there is usually a few specs of dust on the sensors in both my cameras. I just leave them there because I almost never shoot above f 11 because of diffraction. I can't see them even 18x24 prints I have taken. I occasionally shoot at a white wall at f22 to see what's there but am loath to wet clean sensors unless absolutely necessary because stuff shows in a print. If it were my 5d and I thought it affected my pictures I would have it fixed. If not I would stay with the status quo. I think, if I were you and I was really bothered by it I would send it to Canon and have the sensor cleaned and examined and then follow their recommendations. If it were me I would really have to see something in each print. I probably would have difficulty living with it but it would have to be more than the tiny dust bits that I know resided on the sensors in my cameras. </p>

<p>I would call Canon support, they will let you know if it's covered under warranty. I have had to send in my 30D (error message) and SX10 (sensor problem) and I had my cameras back in 2 weeks TOPS, usually less. yes, it sucks to have to pay to ship it, but I would much rather have a fully functional camera (and have repairs done before the warranty expires). They will send you instructions and then you can track the repairs online, usually once they have received your camera repairs and return shipping are usually completed in 7days, and they usually clean it up and service it for you while it's there. And neither repair cost me anything more than the shipping and insurance.</p>

<p>Hi Shannon,<br /> Thanks for the encouraging information, I am glad to hear that Canon serviced your camera quickly and for free. My case is a bit less clear because the etching could have been caused by a manufacturing defect (their fault), or by improper cleaning (by the previous owner). But I am now leaning towards sending the camera for repair, even if I have to pay (ugh).</p>

<p>If you're sure it was like this when you bought it, any chance you can return it to whoever you bought it from, and get your money back?</p>

<p>I think it unlikely it left Canon with those marks. More likely the previous owner fouled it up while trying to clean it.</p>

<p>Hi Alan,<br>

I have been in contact with the previous owner today to try to find an original receipt, but think it a but much to ask him to take the camera back. In an ideal world, I would have realized the problem before purchasing the camera. I do have the option to sell the camera as-is to someone who is less particular than me (or does not frequently use settings for which the problem appears).</p>

<p>Phew, thanks Kevin. I think I've been thinking that all along, but just worried about sending it to Canon. I have a daughter due in two months, and am worried that Canon will still have my camera at that time. But from what everyone has said here, Canon is fast and I should just send it in and get it fixed. Thanks!</p>

<p>Another possibility - there's a company that adapts cameras for infrared work, and they do 5Ds - basically it involves removing the sensor filter that is (presumably) the thing damaged in your camera. Since they remove these as their primary job, one supposes that they must have a whole stack of them laying around their shop. I checked their website and it includes the promising text</p>

<p>"Scratched your stock camera sensor filter? We can fix it!"</p>

<p>They quote $425 for the 5D. Not cheap, but beats buying a new camera. They're at http://www.lifepixel.com/index.html . They even have do-it-yourself tutorials if you're brave enough.</p>

<p>Alan, that's an interesting though. But I think if Canon will not fix the camera under warranty that I would prefer to sell the camera as-is, letting the buyer know of the issue. Good to know that Life Pixel is available though, sounds like a cool service.</p>

<p>Danny,</p>

<p>Are you near a Canon Service Center? I've taken equipment to Canon in Irvine, Calif and they repaired it pretty quickly. If the service rep is really sensitive to your plight they can ask for a faster service.</p>

<p>As for Canon having your camera when your daughter is born, if you think about it, there won't be a time in the next few years that you can do without your 5D. At what point in her life will you have a couple months (although it shouldn't take that long) to go without the camera. You have a good backup and if the 5D doesn't come back in time, you will still get the shots. This is why it is extremely important to get this done ASAP. Congrats on your daughter.</p>

<p>Thanks John, I live near Santa Barbara, CA - so Irvine is likely the closest service center. Did you physically drop the camera off at the service center? I didn't know that was an option! Irvine is a serious drive for me (about 5hrs), but good to know they are sensitive to their customer's needs.</p>

<p>I dropped it off there. You might call them up since the service time depends on how many cameras they have in for servicing (and if they have the parts in stock)<br /> <br>

<br /> I think this is their number: (949) 753-4200</p>

<p> John<br /> <br /> </p>

<p>I'd say it's very unlikley that Canon would do a warranty repair. My guess is that it was most likely damaged by over-zealous cleaning or using the wrong solvent. I've never heard of a manufacturing defect resulting in anything like what you're seeing.</p>

<p>I don't think the cover filters are cemented onto the sensor in the 5D (they are in the 1D series bodies), so they can be replaced. The high cost is mostly due to the amount of labor involved in getting at the filter assembly. My guess would be at least a few hundred dollars.</p>

<p>Thanks Bob, I was a bit afraid of that. Good to know that the entire sensor will not need to be replaced. As far as I know, the sensor has been well cared for, but there is no way for me to be absolutely sure that the problem is due to a manufacturing defect. If I decide to send it in, I will do so with my fingers crossed!</p>