5D adapter for Contax, or for rollei

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by d_g, Jun 28, 2007.

1. d_g

d_g

i've spend some hard time surfing to find the best value adapters for my 5D.
    i'm looking for an adaptater to mount a zeiss contax 35/2,8 on a
    eos 5D... an adaptator that allowed infinity focus for shure, that secure the lens, and that doesn't touch
    the 5D mirror...
    it looks like, thate there is different thickness as well...

I don't need AF confirm adapter, i just want to mount my 35 (and later a 28/2,8, a 50/1,4 and maybe a
    35PC)...

any advice ?

Thanks

2. Usually, the Contax adapters sold on EBay do work at infinity. AS for the mirror issue I haven't heard of that being the case.

3. Hi,

Cameraquest and Fotodiox adapters are what many uses. They are tougher and well made. I
    shoot Contax Zeiss, Leica R on my Canon body. Love it absolutely.

Sincerely,
    MZ

4. I use adapters like the one that Giampi linked with Contax Zeiss 28/2.8, 35/2.8 and 85/1.4. The adapter for the 85/1.4 has a focus-confirm chip to help get best focus with the shallow DOF, but the 28 and 35 are usually for stopped-down landscape shooting, and I use just plain adapters. I used the 35/2.8 on my new 5D last week and found that it lightly contacted the mirror - it didn't prevent the photo from being taken correctly, but the mirror didn't get all the way back down on its own. I could get it to go all of the way down by pushing the lens dismount button and rotating the lens a small amount - not nearly enough to take the lens off. This was kind of strange as I tested the 35/2.8 on my 5D at home and it worked fine. It was a cool and crappy day, so maybe the temperature difference caused the contact. I also tried the 28/2.8 and 85/1.4 at home with no interference, but the 45/2.8 hit the mirror. I think that I'll leave the mirror alone and trim the 35/2.8 lever aperture a bit - it requires a lot less work than a Pentax K-mount lens. As far as adapter thickness goes; if it's too thick you don't get infinity focus, and if it's too thin you can focus past infinity. All of my generic adapters seem OK (Contax, Pentax, Nikon and Olympus).

5. d_g

d_g

James,

if it's too thick you don't get infinity focus, and if it's too thin you can focus past infinity...

i didn't read anywhere else that the 35 have this kind of problem with the 5D... but i read the
    there was a bunch of Contax/eos adaptors that where too thin... to make shure that you can
    rich infinity... you have to find one, that is just the right size !

6. I use an adapter for my 85/1.4 on my 10D. I regularly buy my Nikon adapters from jinfinance on eBay and so I bought his Contax adapter and find it to be much stronger and easier to use than the Nikon ones. I think I paid about $15.00 plus about $20.00 shipping. I tend to buy several adapters at once to save on the shipping. No focus problems with the adapter and the Zeiss lenses that have problems with mirrors are generally the older superwide lenses.

7. Fotodiox adapter for the Zeiss Contax lens it is. I've met a person this morning at a local pro shop and he showed me the adapter name.

Interestingly this person used two lens for his Canon 5D, a Leica R 50/2.0 and a Zeiss Contax 50/1.4. He told me to check on B&H and eBay for the adapters.

8. d_g

d_g

a Leica R 50/2.0 and a Zeiss Contax 50/1.4. ...

aren't they quite similar ? why carrying both of them ?

9. "I used the 35/2.8 on my new 5D last week and found that it lightly contacted the mirror - it didn't prevent the photo from being taken correctly, but the mirror didn't get all the way back down on its own."

I've had a similar problem with a 35-70mm f/3.4 Vario Sonnar, which has had some good reviews on the internet. The lens is lovely but with my generic eBay Contax / Yashica - EOS adapter (it has "C/Y - EOS" on the front and nothing else) the 5D's mirror hangs on the back of the mount after taking a picture. In the end I carefully and lovingly took the hacksaw to the aperture pin and the protruding part of the lens element, although I am sure with more appropriate tools you could carefully grind down the ring. Oddly, the part that I assumed was hitting the mirror - a block held on with two small screws - was not the problem.

At first I didn't like hacksawing lenses. Now I don't mind. My rationale is that, somewhere in the universe, there is a planet where lenses rule, and human beings are their playthings. The lenses routinely shorten the human beings by hacksawing off the top of their skulls, in order to fit the people through the smaller doors that exist on this world. It doesn't cause lasting damage but it calls for brutal preemptive revenge, and that is my motivation.