580EX II Vs Metz 58....opinions on worth of Metz secondary reflector/"wink light"

john e v bailey

Hello,

I'm moving to a 40D soon and am after a flash to go with it. I had narrowed it

down to these 2, well I was pretty much sold on the 580EX II but had managed to

overlook the independent secondary reflector only available on the Metz.

Is this a feature that anyone out there considers something they can't do

without? Can a close enough result be achieved with bounce cards that split the

light in 2 directions? I guess there's no way to replicate on the 580EXII if

you're aiming the flash head in a very different direction for bounce. Would

this difference be enough to sway you one way or the other?

However I'm really not keen on what's basically been called a bad menu system on

the Metz, I don't want to be digging around in that when the 580's is supposed

to be good to use with the wheel.

I'd appreciate recommendations and personal experiences on this factor and

general comparisons of the 2 units.

Thanks - John

I used a 580EX for a long time, and just bought a Metz 54MZ-4i. I don't have the 58, but besides the 54, I have other Metz flashes that have the secondary reflector. It is nice sometimes, but not nearly as often as one might think. Often the intensity is either too much or not enough. The 58 does have a way to control the intensity of the secondary reflector, though, but even so, another problem is the size of the light source. Since it is very small, the quality is quite specular and hard. You can get similar bounced shots with a white card like the one built into the Metz 580EX, or a product such as the Demb Diffuser, although, as you say, in some cases, you cannot duplicate the reflector placements. In any case, it is definitely NOT something I can't do without.

I have heard about the menu system, and also about the difficulty of quickly compensating the flash on the 58, as compared to the 580EX, where you can, by custom function, assign direct compensation control to the back dial. On my 54, it also isn't as fast as on the 580EX, but I don't find it to be a huge problem, and I really like some features of the Metz 54 over the 580EX. It all comes down to what specific features you value over the other. I shoot weddings, so fast flash compensation is very important. However, consistency of exposure is also important, and so far, the Metz 54 wins on that--with both ETTL (it is an emulation) and the auto function. I have also heard that on the 580EXII, the auto thyristor function also underexposes. Another thing about the 58--it is a 6 volt flash (I think), and won't play with my existing battery packs, which is one reason I didn't get it.

I would sit down and make a list of priorities, and maybe tell us how you will be using the flash--to photograph what?

Hi Nadine - Thanks for your considered reply, very helpful.

It will serve me as a general purpose flash but it will be my sole flash and get used for weddings and portraiture, I also have a spare room taken over for still life experiments. I have an interest in sports (looking forward to the 6.5fps on the 40D) but this is mostly outdoors and I'm wary of the use of flash being frowned upon anyway. There is also the possibility of the occasional musical gig but again I've tried not to use flash in the past on these.

I also enjoy wildlife! lol I just love photography and try my hand at most but I think it's the weddings that concern me regarding the flash...if I'm messing in my spare room or anywhere else on my own time I don't mind a bit of tweaking and head-scratching...but I don't want to be in this situation at a wedding!

From the interests above the one's I've been asked to do by other people - and thus I would say are most important - are weddings, sports (non-professional level teams - action and team pics) and band gigs.

Hehe yes I know! I think given your opinion of the wink light it's something I can live without also. Different people seem to report different consistency with both flashes and in different modes, it doesn't seem to be set in stone either way.

The menu I can see as clunkier and the wheel a real strength...all my kit so far is Canon and so I'm afraid the brand factor will swing it more the way of the 580EXII for having confidence they work easily together and if I want to go wireless with additional flash later...ultimately I don't think I will be disappointed by either choice but I think I'm going for the 580....thanks for your time :)

Hi! I`ve got Metz 58 for last month and it is very good flash, but I don`t use secondary reflector as often as I think I would be. It is usfeul when you got high ceeling and it gives catchlight in the eye, but sometimes it`s too strong. You can control output of 2nd reflector (1/1 1/21/4, off) but size of reflector gives light a little bit like from builtin flash. I use metz 58 with 10D and A mode works better then ETTL for me(its more dependable). In 40D E-TTL II work much more better so I think I would choose canon flash. Flash exposure compensation is not so easy to change in Metz, but since you `ve got FE control built in body it`s not a problem. One nice thing is that flash has low battery indicator. If You can reach Canon buy Canon if not, take Metz.