58 mm Filters

<p>If I was you, I'd get one filter or several (+) close up filters (one size) that will fit the largest lens and then get step down rings to fit all other lenses. For instance, you could have a 67mm filter as largest lens and a 67mm to 58mm ring, 55, 52, 49, etc. This way you only have to buy one close up set.</p>

<p>Just measure the filter thread for each lens. Those rings are relatively inexpensive.</p>

<p>Les</p>

Close-up dioptres work by shortening the focal

length of the lens they're attached to. For example

a +1 CU "filter" on a 210mm lens makes a

combination with a focal length of

(21x100)/(21+100)cm. That's 17.36cm or ~174mm.

A +2 dioptre on a 210mm lens results in a combined focal length of 148mm. However, the combination inevitably has poorer optical quality than the prime lens alone, and has a different effective aperture.

There's little point in removing half of a convertible Symmar only to replace it with an inferior CU dioptre to reduce its focal length again. Especially since a +1 CU on a 360mm lens gives a combination of around 265mm FL.

<p>There is no reason to use a Macro Close up filter on your 210mm lens and with the long 26 inch bellows length of your camera. Just rack the bellows out to focus close up. You can of course use 58mm filters for color and contrast changes. <br>

I also recommend not to use the lens converted to 360mm. It's very difficult to focus and image quality is poor. I tried one time with a 210mm Rodenstock lens and one time was enough to see it was not worth the trouble for a second attempt. </p>