55mm lenses for new F1 any recommendation?

monogatari

Hello everyone,

this is my first post. I have a new F1 Canon with a nice 35mm f2.8, i would like to add a 55mm (i find 50mm too close to 35mm), I wanted to be sure to get a lens which is compatible with the camera, especially if i want the aperture priority working properly. So, is the 55mm f.1.2 FL compatible and working with aperture priority or I have to find some newer version? If i need a newer version can you please recommend which one (since there is the aspherical, the non aspherical with silver ring and the non aspherical all black)?

Welcome to photo.net.

Well, the FL lenses do not have meter coupling, which was introduced with the FD lenses. So there would be no full aperture metering, just stop-down.

I did briefly have an FL F/1.2 lens some years ago. I think it was 58mm rather than 55. It wasn't a particularly good lens if I recall correctly, especially at short distances.

• Like 1

I don't see a definition meaning fast/quick:

Well, It seems to be a somewhat informal and flexible word in meaning, and at least in the UK it's not heard a lot these days. Perhaps usages are different in other countries. I always assumed it meant quick and efficient. Here's a definition which includes the phrase "quick and skilful".

LINK --- NIFTY (adjective) definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary

As Humpty Dumpty said, "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean".

Edited by John Seaman

As Humpty Dumpty said, "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean".

Well. I don't know about Humpty Dumpty, but

in Henry Fielding’s 1749 The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling:

“When I mention religion,” declares Parson Thwackum, “I mean the Christian religion; and not only the Christian religion, but the Protestant religion; and not only the Protestant religion, but the Church of England.”

The FD 50 f1.4 is not a nifty fifty. That would be the FDn 50 f1.8 or the EF 50 f1.8. The f1.4 are/were too pricey to be considered nifty. To me nifty means simple yet efficient and relatively inexpensive. The early FD breechlock lenses are never plastic fantastics either.
Robin Smith

The later Canon 50/1.4 FL and FD 50/1.4 SC and SSC have the same optical formula. I picked up the FL 50/1.4 for $30 and converted it to RF coupled M-Mount. Focus shift due to spherical aberration is lower than the Leica Summilux of that period. Nifty- seems like a very good adjective for this lens.

The 50/1.4 SSC is first-rate, just not as easy to make a rangefinder coupling for it as the FL. The 50/1.4 SSC and 50/1.4 SC chrome-nose, mine were inexpensive. The SSC came on a Canon EF for $35.

The Pop Photo 1976 test of Canon lenses.

canon.jpg

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1