55mm f3.5 Micro Nikkor conversion

tri-x1

I've got a nearly mint 55mm f3.5 Micro Nikkor--the model after the P but before the ai model, that I'm shipping

to John White to have ai'd so I can use it on my D300. Anyone have any experience with the manual focus micro

Nikkors on digital bodies? This one is tack sharp on an F body.

Oskar, two pieces, actually. The machining is easy, the hardest part is usually removing the ring from the lens. Some DIY instructions, courtesy of Christoph Breitkopf.

http://www.chr-breitkopf.de/photo/aiconv.en.html

If you're scared, the instructions are sufficiently detailed that you can take them to any competent camera repair tech and have him do the mod for you. Watch out for insanely high quotes.

If you want to push things to the limit, this page by Lars Holst Hansen has instructions on how to cut or add every possible projection: AI coupling ring (all you need for D300), EE servo post (keeps it from damaging D40, D50, D60, D70, D75, D80, D90, D100), focal length index post (only useful on FA and FG, as far as I know. Maybe also F4) and max aperture post (also FA, FG, F4).

http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/fmount.htm

John White (in the US) does the AI ring and EE post as a "type B" conversion.

I have an AI'd 55mm f/3.5 P.C. Micro-Nikkor, which is probably the sharpest lens I have. It's 34 years old and it still works and looks like new. Mine is mostly used for product photography, for which it's great. Naturally it's also a wonderful macro lens (although working distance is a bit tight, especially when using the PK-13 tube to get down to lifesize) but it also works well for landscapes and even portraiture, although it's obviously optimized for close-up photography. Well worth having it converted, if you'd ask me.

Joseph, I actually had a local experienced Nikon repairman do it for me, since I didn't have the tools. He charged me 40 euros, which is obviously far from enough to buy the tools. My point is that if one doesn't want to do it oneself, it's very likely that there will be some person not too far away with the skills and the tools to do it.