553ELX and the D-40 Flash

photo11

Hasselblad 553ELX and the D-40 Flash confirmation light in viewfinder does not

blink just stays steady, checking with flash meter, exposure is correct! Light

only extinguishes when its out of range. The Metz dedicated flash thats made

for Hasselblad works as described on all models that have TTL/OTF as per the

manual.

Are there any members who have the D-40 Flash with the same set up? Could you

please confirm if your camera flash works differently? Appreciate any help!

Thanks. Mike.

Hi Q.G.

Yes, the prints turn out well exposed so I Know the flash is working correctly by measuring the amount of light reflected using the TTL/OTF from the camera circuitry.

On the manuals for the 553ELX it only mentions the Metz working with the dedicated SCA adapter SCA 390, and on the Manual for the D-40 it makes no mention of the light conformation, only by using the test button which fires the flash manually, or by inserting the flash test card, or refer to the camera manual which brings me back to square one.

So I just wonder if the D-40 conformation light works differently than the Metz, also I called Sunpak and Hasselblad service repair center and both suggested to go by what the manual states, I guess their not to sure either, many thanks for your input.

Mike.

Mike, ditto QG. I have both the 553elx, and the 503cx. Both blink for a second or so, then go back to steady to go again. If you are wearing glasses, as I do, and it's fill flash outdoors, it's really hard to sometimes see the blink! Yet fact that the photos are well exposed is proof in and of itself, but I understand what you mean! Hasselblad probably could have put a bigger led in there, but I guess they didn't want eat up any valuable finder screen real estate! The hasselblad and Metz flash is a marriage made in heaven if you'll pardon the pun!

Robert