540EZ makes chirping sound

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by a._valerio, Nov 9, 2008.

1. My 540EZ makes a chirping sound. Is there something wrong with the capacitor or is this normal?

2. Assuming it works otherwise, it's normal. The 540EZ and 550EX both make a fair bit of audible noise when idling.
    Something to do with the power circuitry multiplexing between the various components that use it.

3. My 540EZ makes a turbine-like winding up sound after it's first been turned on after a long period of dis-use. But beyond that it's as quiet as a mouse. Even after a full power dump it no longer makes the turbine whine after the initial power on. I'm 65 and my high frequency hearing certainly isn't as good as when I was 19 and could hear to 22kHz but I suspect that what you describe as a "chirp" is probably a sound at 5kHz or even much less. I'm positive I could hear that but, just to be sure I checked with my wife. She can't hear anything either. I dunno what's going on with the other two but as long as it functions correctly I don't think I'd worry about it.

Chuck Norcutt

4. It is definitely a lower frequency than 22kHz!

5. 21-22 kHz is the upper limit of good human hearing. If you can hear it its definitely lower than that.

Chuck Norcutt