50mm Summicron-R vs. 60mm Elmarit for portraits

raymond_tai

I was shooting models the other day and was told in advance the

studio was pretty small with a 8ft by 12ft working area. I use the

R8 with 90mm Elmarit but it was a bit long for many of the shots I

wanted to do. Something a bit wider like a 60mm or 50mm would have

been nice. Under similar circumstances what advantages would the

60mm have over the 50mm?

Other than the 1 additional stop speed of the 50 (not sure you'd want the limited DOF) and the very slight additional compression you get with the 60 (might make sharp facial features a tiny bit more flattering) not sure you'd notice much difference in this circumstance. Technically the 60 is more even corner to corner with less vignetting, but it would be difficult to tell. I'd probably use the 60 if I had a choice.

As you're probably aware, the 60mm is a macro lens. Accordingly, it has a very flat image field and allows you to get as close to your subject as you like, although it also works perfectly well at longer distances up to infinity. It also has excellent resolution, contrast, colour rendition and freedom from flare. The front element is deeply recessed, so you don't need a lens hood unless you use a filter. IMHO, the 60mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R is one of the best and most versatile fixed-length SLR lenses ever made.

Ray, as an R shooter you need to check out the 60 Macro-Elmarit. When I shot the R system, the 60 was my favorite lens; very good for portraits. In fact, losing the 60 is the reason that I sometimes regret selling the R system. You will find the 60 to be an extremely versatile lens.