50mm lens focus distance

adam_mclarsson

I am sure many people on this forum have a 50mm - it is a versatile lens though I do question what many use it for.

I have tried mine at 1-1.5ft with mixed results and have compared it to my 24-70mm lens at 50mm on the far left AF point (on a 6D). The 50mm shows some slight inaccuracies whereas the 24-70mm at 50mm is spot on.

What are your thoughts? I would have assumed the focus would be the same? Or is there a technicality I am missing.

Which 50mm? Also remember the 50 is focusing at f1.8 or f1.4, and for both of those the middle to edge resolution at full open aperture is not great, making the focus not so easy to hit accurately. Also any AF point off center on the 6D is not as accurate as the center cross-type one. If you use the 6D center point you should do better.
Robin Smith

Unless your 50 is a macro/micro lens, it is not optimized to focus at close ranges of 1-1.5 ft. There are plenty of other lenses which will do the job much better with less distortion and better resolution. Most people use a 50 for general purpose, whether it is on a full or cropped sensor...people and scenic shots.

Which 50mm? Also remember the 50 is focusing at f1.8 or f1.4, and for both of those the middle to edge resolution at full open aperture is not great, making the focus not so easy to hit accurately. Also any AF point off center on the 6D is not as accurate as the center cross-type one. If you use the 6D center point you should do better.

Hi Robin,

I have all three Canon lenses. The one in question is the 50mm 1.2 - I travel a lot and got it because it can take a bashing! Thanks for your answer, makes sense! Really appreciate it.

Unless your 50 is a macro/micro lens, it is not optimized to focus at close ranges of 1-1.5 ft. There are plenty of other lenses which will do the job much better with less distortion and better resolution. Most people use a 50 for general purpose, whether it is on a full or cropped sensor...people and scenic shots.

Gotcha! Thanks SCL! Yes I prefer the 50mm over other primes. Appreciate your reply, thanks!

A relatively low cost way to turn just about any lens into a macro lens is picking up a set of 3 or 4 macro filters that just screw onto the end of your lens and turn your lens into a macro lens. I picked up a set of 3 Bowers for about $35. The can be stacked to increase magnification and allow you to get very close to your subject. My set has a +1, +2 and +4 filter. I can use these individually or stack the to total a +7 filter. These are essentially high quality magnifying lenses that attach to the end of your lens.

Here is a pretty good video explaining them.

Here is a shot I took of some coins using the set I have. I think I used on my Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L lens or perhaps I was using my Sigma 50mm, I forget but it allowed me to get very close to the coins. My set is for 77mm lenses as most of my lenses are 77mm. They make these in other sizes. Here is the shot.

384679676_Coinsx3000-.thumb.jpg.afbf50c83c37bf4ef12ba0419dd3ca18.jpg

Cheers, Mark