50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor

ashutosh_samarth

Unless you absolutely know for sure you will need the extra speed of the 1.4, get the 1.8. For just over $100, it like Juanjo said, a no brainer. You will be pleasantly suprised at it's abilities compared to the 18-200mm.

The 1.4 is a better lens but by only the slightest margin.

Not that I am an expert in the least but anytime anyone asks me about purchasing an SLR\DSLR I tell them to get a 50mm lens. Why? It is the cheapest lens to buy and usually has the best quality (or at least quality on level with pro range glass). Plus it is less limited by lack of light and allows for creative use of depth of field, not to mention its sharp as heck even wide open.

If I'm using my camera(dslr) a 50mm f1.4 is on it (unless I specifically need something wider or longer). I also usually carry a cheap offbrand 28mm too.

I say go for it. You have nothing to lose except for your zoom when you see the quality that is possible with the right lens.

for the same price as a 50mm f1.4 you could get a 50mm f1.8 AND either a used 55 micro or

a 35mm f2... That's the way I would go. I have the same camera and 18-200 as you and find

the 50mm f1.8 to be an OUTSTANDING addition. When you can use it instead of the 18-200

you will get noticeably better results, especially at large print sizes or with heavy cropping. I

LOVE mine. Then I got a 55mm f3.5 AI micro and LOVE that. Total cost... under 250 including

tax and shipping for both. Less than a 50mm f1.4.