50mm 1.8 for wedding?

marc s

Anyone using a Canon 50 mm 1.8 for wedding shots in low lit churches?

I'm considering buying one for my 20D. Great for low-light situations. However, I'm somewhat concerned

about the low DOF blurring some of the wedding party on formal shots.

What do you think?

I had an older metal mount 1.8 that I used with a 10d until I purchased the 1.4. The main

reason I switched is that the 1.4 is USM while the 1.8 is EF (slower focus). Both lenses are

excellent for wedding use, and at the price it is a real bargain.

Marc...yes. You don't HAVE to use it f1.8 for anything if you don't want to. But generally, DOF is greater the smaller the aperture, the farther away you are from your subject, and with the wide angle lenses. f1.8 is just useful if you can handhold at ISO 400 or 800 in low light (in the church) at 1/60th (slowest shutter speed still somewhat adhering to the handholding, focal length/shutter speed guideline).

Thanks. One thing that is throwing me is the 20D's actual focal length with a 50 mm lens is

actually 80 mm. (50 x 1.6). How that would effect my DOF, I'm not sure. And while I wouldn't

always shoot on 1.8, that is one of the main reasons for purchasing the lens: shooting in dim

areas.

Another trip to the camera store......

Regards,

Marc S

BTW,

I saw your Saturday night fight picture. It's a really nice shot! I also noticed that it was shot

using the same lens at an even wider aperture. DOF looks good. I can see how this lens

would be great at a wedding.

The DOF of a lens at various apertures and distances remains the same if you put that lens on a crop camera. Bob Atkins wrote an article which is still on this site about this. Do a search. In effect, you are "gaining" some DOF when using a crop camera. On the other hand, you are "missing" the shallow DOF possible with the widest apertures. While consulting a DOF table is good, try just shooting some test images so you get a first hand feel for the DOF of that lens (on that camera) at the wider apertures.

I think that's one of the first lenses I would have bought if I had a canon. It's cheap and f1.8 ohhh yehhh toss the flash. I would get it for portraits if anything. I have a pentax 50mm f2 I took this shot with it and plan to buy the 77mm f1.8 this month.<div>00HkRf-31889884.jpg.1551228b06fa30e666d6698549eb9fbb.jpg</div>