50D or XSi?

laura_brugger

<p>I am a beginner in the photography world (I have worked with a 35mm, but it's been awhile). I have been

trying to decide between going with the beginning level XSi or jumping into the more advanced 50D. I will be

traveling with this camera on occassion...especially within the next few years...so the main reason I am even looking

at the XSi is because of the weight. I am really keen on the control setup on the 50D, but it is a bit

heavy...which I feel I would grow accustomed to anyway. I am a small female, but I am pretty strong so I was

thinking the 50D won't be too much of a problem. What do you guys think? I am going to the

store this coming week to really play around with the two cameras and see what I think of each of them so maybe I

can get a better idea that way. I just thought you guys could give me some of the pros and cons (from a users

perspective) of each of these cameras. Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>Personally I would go for the 50D as I would really think that this camera is more camera for your money. I personally wouldnt go for the XSi (nothing against the camera) as I would consider that a more entry level meaning I might out grow it a lot faster than if I got the 50D.</p>

<p>If the cost was a factor - then the XSi. But yes, go in and handle them both to see how they feel. Who knows - the XSi might just feel better in your hands.</p>

<p>Do a side by side comparison of the two models. Maybe the extras that the 50D has isnt worth it to you but at the same time, think about the future - will you outgrow the XSi or no?</p>

<p>They are both fine cameras.<br /> Here is the Canon EOS Rebel XSi:<br /> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542177-REG/Canon_2756B001_EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html<br /> I see the body weighs in at 16.8 ounces, while the 50D weighs 25.7 ounces.</p>

<p>Perhaps start with the XSi. Price is reasonable. But it depends how many pictures you plan to take in a given time, say each year, what type of photography you will be doing and environment.</p>

<p>I would handle both and decide on ergonomics. </p>

<p>I did exactly that six months ago across the camera store counter with the XSi vs the 40D and it was immediately clear - I went with the XSi. This was coming from a 4 year old 20D. Note that a camera that's twice as expensive (XSi vs 50D) rarely makes one a better photographer. I like the small size and the ability to shoot and make adjustments with one hand - I can do that all day without tiring. </p>

<p>The image quality is great; I've snapped <a href="http://www.citysnaps.net/blog/">tons of urban street pix</a> with my XSi. If I was shooting night pix all the time or a lot of sports, I'd go with the 50D. What was far more important to me though, was size, weight and handling since I shoot a lot.</p>

<p> </p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Both are good cameras, and the answer to your questions is really going to have to be from you weighing the benefits of the one over the other in comparing the type of photography you want to do.<br>

My opinion would be to go for the XSi and spend the extra money on lenses(unless you take the option to save and see how you use/want to use the camera moving forward). I own the XSi and purcahsed the BG-E5 Battery Grip along with it and it has proven to be a good balance of weight and size for even my large hands, but my wife who has much smaller hands finds it perfect for her as well. My wife and I both own the same camera and accessories, with the only difference being the color of the bodies.</p>

<p>The XSi has performed excellently for us but it is a slightly lower Res, and slightly slower on the frames/sec when in RAW, but it hasn't adversely affected us to this point nor do I think it will. I bounced around wtih me getting the 50D and my wife the XSi, but it came out for me to choose the XSi and lump the extra money into more/better lens for my both of us (the 50 f/1.8 and a soon to be decided on dedicated Macro lens). We did get the kit IS lens and the telephoto kit expansion IS lens, and both have proven to fulfill their purpose well and although not as good as L lens, or more expensive counterparts, they are excellent for our style of "hobby" photography.</p>

<p>I agree with the other posters that you need to go handle both of them and see which feels right to you. I did the same thing Brad did and had the opposite opinion. I went with the 40d. It fit me better and the controls were more friendly to me.</p>

<p>Both are XSI and 50d are great cameras. Both will give you exceptional images when you learn how to use them correctly. I would suggest going to the 40d myself, especially with the deals that are out there right now.</p>

<p>Get a body that is comfortable to you and invest in good glass.</p>

<p>Scott</p>

<p>Kinda like asking: should I buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Nissan Toyota Camry.</p>

<p>Both will get you from A to B in comfort. Ask the question on a forum, and the Cherokee fans will tell you stories about how they got to work the one day in the year when the blizzard was howling. They'll tell you about perceived safety and sporty image. They'll tell you about cargo capacity. The Camry folks will tell you about fuel efficiency, cheap insurance, superb handling, and how there's plenty of space to take the kids to soccer practice or to the cabin for the weekend.</p>

<p>Ask yourself which car would you buy. If it's the SUV then get the 50D. If it's the Camry then get the 450D.</p>

<p>Image quality should be about the same. Obviously the 50D has more features. The rebel is lighter and cheaper, you know that of course. Holding both in your hands will tell you more. </p>

<p>Whether or not the feature differences mean anything to you depends on what types of images you want.</p>

<p>The 50D has a real pentaprism while the rebels use pentamirrors and are not as bright, not as easy to focus manually. Of the two, the 50D wins.</p>

<p>The rear wheel is another major thing for me. I like separate controls for aperture and shutter in manual mode, I dislike pressing a button to adjust one of them. For me, the 50D is a no-brainer in that regard.</p>

<p>I don't know if the AF is any different but if you want to shoot sports, the 6 fps of the 50D may be useful to you. I used cameras with no motor or only a 2 fps motor for a long time and wasn't worried about it.</p>

<p>Then there are a bunch of little things like having a PC terminal, which may not mean much to most people but is useful at times. I use some old flashes and find it useful. The 50D has this feature, the Rebel does not.</p>

<p>I think you are not asking quite the right question. You are going to have to buy a lot besides a camera body--additional lenses, filters, maybe a flash, a tripod, editing software, maybe a photo printer. When I got back into photography last year after years away, I put aside my old Canon FTb and bought an XTi. That ended up being about 1/3 of what I spent over the first 9 months.</p>

<p>So a better way to put the question--unless you have limitless money--is whether you will do better spending that extra on a better body or on something else.</p>

<p>Before you make a decision, I would look at these superb macro photos: http://lordv.smugmug.com/gallery/734022_SvyNW#32279562_xnx68. In the same gallery, you will see the outfit the photographer used: a Canon 300D (a much less capable predecessor to the XSi), and a second-brand lens.</p>

<p>The bottom line in my view is that what holds people back at first is not the quality of the body. Any of these are plenty good enough. It is practice, experience, learning, and (within reason) lens quality.</p>

<p>The 50D is a considerably better camera, and I am thinking about upgrading to it because of some of the things I do (I do a lot of low-light work, so I want the better viewfinder and higher ISO, and I do short-lens macro work for which the extra pixels will help, allowing me more drastic crops). I have big hands, so the larger size is preferable, and I don't mind the extra weight. But nonetheless, the limiting factor in my shots is usually me, not the camera body.</p>

<p>In any event, either one should serve you well. Have fun with whatever you get.</p>

<p>I think you have the right idea already. Getting both cameras in your hand will go along way in helping you decide which camera best fits your needs. I only own the digital Rebel, so I can't give a personal comparison between the XSi and the 50D. Review sites like <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/">dpreview</a> give pretty throughout rundown of all the features each camera has, which I find quite helpful when choosing a camera.</p>

<p>Laura, you see what happens when you ask too many questions?<br /> First you knew what camera body you wanted, and just needed help on lenses.<br /> Now you don't know anything at all--</p>

<p>I'm obliged to say that this is a common outcome of the advice from the P.net gallery ;)</p>

<p>If you can afford it, IMHO you'll be better off with a 50D in the long run. However, as I said in the other thread, the XSi is a fine camera and will take excellent pictures. If you buy a XSi, then it will make a good backup camera if you later decide to upgrade to the 60D or whatever.<br /> If you are getting the XSi, buy it as a kit with the 18-55mm IS lens. If you get the 50D, get the 17-85mm IS lens kit. In either case, you'll get a significant discount on the lens as a kit.</p>

<p>If you continue to ask questions instead of plunging in, next you'll be asking if you should get a Canon or a Pentax. ;)</p>

<p>i recently was faced with this decision: i was rotating between the 50d and maybe springing for a 5d or 5dii. I was saving money and wanted to upgrade from my XS. I kept playing with them at best buy and i really liked the viewfinder compared to teh rebels. It is large, glorious and bright. But i wanted 12mega pixels as i consider 15 on the APS-C sensor just too much: the pixel sites are too small. I have never been in a situation where 12 or 10 mp was insufficient; probably i haven't even justified this size. I really liked the 5d because of its giant pixels on the full sized sensor. But i ended up settling on: a D90 from nikon. I got the 12MP on the DX format (1.5 crop format) what i consider great midtones, and great ISO performance up to 6400. The XS was limited to 1600 and that at only full stop increments. The 50d actually goes to 12800 but every review i have seen is that it is essentially a gimmick: it is unusable. Also, the d90 is positioned (pricewise) right between these two canons with a great kit lens 18-105 or body only around 800-900 with a nifty fifty 1.8 and you've got a great camera for about a grand. <br>

I only bring it up because i was very shallow into a lens system and so was thus unshackled with equipment loyalties as it seems you may be without as well. <br>

I got my d90 for 20% off at circuit city's liquidation and perhaps going by there might show some deals of their remaining stock if there is a location still existing near you.</p>

<p>See, Laura.<br>

"Friends don't let friends buy Nikon" ;) Think about that jerk they use in their ads, do you want to have that image? ;)</p>

<p>If you don't stop wavering you'll soon not even be sure if you want to buy a camera or not.</p>

<p>I was in the same boat and chose the 50d.</p>

<p>Initially based on specs alone, I was going to choose the XSI. I said to myself, "is the 50d really worth two XSI's?"</p>

<p>I went to Best Buy and a traditional camera store so I could handle it untethered (the 50d actually felt significantly lighter without bestbuys security junk on it).<br>

I was able to easily and quickly adjust ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture on the 50d. Not so much on the XSI. Contrary to common belief, a heavier camera is typically easier to keep steady.<br>

Personally, I like to shoot in full manual all the time so being able to easily adjust is important to me. I didn't want to buy a camera that I would regret buying because of its inability to do something</p>

<p>By the way, just listening to the 50d rapid shooting was highly impressive.</p>

<p>Good luck. Though, like others if your budget only allows for a XSI and a good lens vs the 50d and just the kit lens I would suggest getting the XSI.</p>

<p>>>> I was able to easily and quickly adjust ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture on the 50d. Not so much on the XSI. </p>

<p>Odd, I found that not to be the case. With the XSi I can easily adjust ISO, compensation, aperture, shutter speed while shooting one-handed.</p>

<p>For me it had nothing to do with the XSi costing less, but about superior ergonomics.</p>

www.citysnaps.net