500D Shutter Accutations?!

dan_spellman

<p>Howdy,</p>

<p>I was looking for find my accutations for my 500D. Sadly, EOSInfo doesnt work. Now, on the LCD screen there is the number on the top right, but presumably it has ticked over from 9999 at least once because it says 2481, which seems low. Also, to the left of that number is another number and I have no idea what it means? It's 102... so the top right of my LCD screen says "102-2481". 2481 is the shuttercount (since last 9999), what is the 102?</p>

<p>Do 500D owners have any way of finding their shuttercount?</p>

<p>Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Dan,</p>

<p>Page 132-133 of the user manual spells out folder and file number. Page 161 details the information presented on the screen during image review. </p>

<p>The first image shot on your camera, with a new card, would have been 101-0001. If you kept the default file numbering setting of "Continuous" then after 101-9999 it would have rolled over to 102-0001.</p>

<p>If you used Manual Reset then the camera would have created the new folder (102) and restarted the numbering at 0001.</p>

<p>If you never manually reset the file number, and you have the original file names intact on your PC then you could could check to see when it was that your camera rolled over 9999. You'd be able to find, approximately, the sequence where it changed from IMG_9999.JPG (or.CRW) to IMG_0001.JPG (or .CRW). They would be around the same date.</p>

<p>However, If you ever used a memory card that had been used in another Canon camera, all bets are off on file numbers. Let's say, for example, the 500D was showing 101-5000. And then you used a card from another Canon camera that had 101-6000. The next photo on the 500D would have been recorded as 101-6001.</p>

<p>The only downside is you have to use internet explorer :-( ... <br>

The only other option is to manually count your files which is only a possibility if you keep them all (or the vast majority) and keep them in the same place... If so, it's pretty easy to manually count up 'rollovers' to determine what the total count is.</p>

<p>I've got Firefox and have added the IE tab2 as suggested, but how do I use this to read my 60D shutter count? When I plug the camera into my PC's USB it just reads the SD card as usual. Do I have to install and run another program as well?</p>