500 ELM and Time Exposures

q.g._de_bakker

John,<br><br>Do yourself a favour, and use that LOT-switch.<br>Using a cable release (electric, or 'normal' with the adapter that was available), or your finger on the release, 'B' works exactly as it does on any other camera. But the battery will drain as long as you keep the shutter open.<br>Using the LOT-switch, it will not.<br><br>The release of the EL-models is mechanical, with an electromagnet activiting the trigger, tripping a catch. The same catch can be tripped mechanically by the LOT-switch. The difference is what else is tripped at the same time: using the LOT-switch, the release cycle is stopped - blocked rather - mechanically until you set it to O again. Using the release button or a cable, you are not so lucky, and you need to keep the magnet pulling (and drawing current).

P.S. (i noticed only now)<br><br>With a 500 C too you need to keep the release pressed as long as you want to keep the shutter open.<br>What you are describing (push once to open - once again to close) is not 'B', but 'T' setting, the thing you called "odd".<br>;-)<br>That 'T' setting does not work on a 500 C, unless you use the tiny lever round the release button. But even then, all it does is keep the release depressed, and you need to reset it to 'O', not push once again to end the exposure.

I just acquired a 500 ELM for a real deal. Only $100 and it works and charges!

My other body was giving me grief with a "droopy eye lid" Auxiliary Shutter tensioning spring failure and I

think the ELM body will be less than the parts or repairs.

My question is about controlling Bulb exposures with the ELM.

The manual states you should set the Time Selector Switch near the side connector port to the "T" setting

so as to not drain the battery for Time Exposures.

By doing this, it immediately opens the aux. shutter and the lens shutter and only closes back down when

you set the Time selector back to "O".

Seems a bit odd that the release button has nothing to do with starting and stopping the exposure?

How does the ELM respond when in Bulb with the various cable releases?

Normally my 500C, you press the cable release initally to start the time exposure and then again to close

at the end of your exposure and then the shutter closes.

Will the cable releases for the ELM operate in the same manner? Push once to open, push again to close?

Do I need to really use this odd "T" setting ? I am not to concerned about the battery issue yet.

I havent gotten one of the cables yet, so i dont know how it will react.

Any other advice on the operaqtion of this new acquisition would help and greatly appreciated!

Thanks

John Thurston

Dear Hassie Friends,

Oops What I described as pushing twice in Bulb is actually two motions with my normal

cable relase. Center plunger pushed in...shutter opens...outer ring pushed...releasing the

plunger...shutter closes.

I have a new problem. In testing all the settings to see what they do...in either A or AS

mode I managed to set the thing off without a back or film and it wouldnt stop until I

pulled the battery. This happened once before and disconnecting the battery power

seemed to cure the zombie behavior. This time it wont stop! I suppose it would be OK to

fully dicharge the battery so I can fully charge it, but I am worried about it cycling with the

mirror up and aux open and not stoppng...1000 exposures is a long time and a bit of wear

and tear on my new find.

Any Suggestions? Will a setting of the the L O T switch stop it?

I have Wildi's 2nd Ed. Manual and no mention of this situation except fully discharging

before recharging.

Hope i havent done something stupid already??

Thanks for any help.

John Thurston