50 Years Ago - March 1967

A great look back, Marc. The 1000-4000 was also sold later in Bauch & Lomb trim, but except for advanced in lens coatings changed very little from Swift's introduction. My dad apparently read this article when it was originally published because when I asked him (at the time I was about 11) why he bought the Vivitar 85-205 instead of the Swift, his answer covered most of the shortcomings mentioned in this article. I understood even better when I tried taking photos through telescopes later.
  • Like 1

1. We shall not see the like of these exhumed magazines again.

2. Maybe, however, that's not all bad. They had a sort of annual cycle of stories (December, shooting in the snow; the annual photography international shows; etc.) When you looked at the 'how-to' stories there seemed to be a kind of 2 or 3-year cycle. I think you can go deeper, quicker on the www, nowadays.

3. Even then, the advertisements were always great to linger over wishfully -- sort of like the annual Sears toy catalogs when you were younger. ;)

Anyhow, we love marc for doing this. It is much appreciated.

I've enjoyed reading back issues of photo magazines for a long time. When I was a college student during the mid to late 1970's I would read some of my dad's older issues while waiting for fiber prints to dry on the Prinz electric print dryer that he had in the darkroom. He kept back issues in the darkroom and in the cabinets above the washer and drier for easy access. Learned a lot from these older magazines and I still pick up useful knowledge from the articles that Marc shares with us.