50 Years Ago - March 1967

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by marc_bergman|1, Mar 31, 2017.

1. The Coffee Break column talks about some staff changes at Modern Photography magazine.

Coffee-Break-1-sm-2

2. Bennett Sherman writes about Ultraviolet lenses.

TT-1-sm-2

3. Here is this month's Too Hot to Handle column.

THTH-1-sm-2

4. Here are this month's Modern Tests.

MT-1-sm-2

5. Patricia Caulfield writes about Decamired filters.

CoC-1-sm-2

6. Keppler writes about his pet SLR camera advertising annoyances.

Keppler-1-sm-2

7. Now let's switch over to US Camera magazine. Here is their Creative Color column. in it Arthur Rothstein writes about his experiences with David Douglas Duncan.

Creative-Color-1-sm-2

8. Interesting look into the past. I always enjoy Keppler's pieces. And when reading Too Hot to Handle, I wonder where these writers went.

Thanks for posting these, Marc!

9. A great look back, Marc. The 1000-4000 was also sold later in Bauch & Lomb trim, but except for advanced in lens coatings changed very little from Swift's introduction. My dad apparently read this article when it was originally published because when I asked him (at the time I was about 11) why he bought the Vivitar 85-205 instead of the Swift, his answer covered most of the shortcomings mentioned in this article. I understood even better when I tried taking photos through telescopes later.

marc_bergman|1 likes this.
  10. Thanks Marc. I found Keppler's pondering on the relationship of eyes to camera really quite profound. Altogether, another excellent edition.