50 1.4 Ai or non Ai ?

michael_ferron1

I picked up a decent 50 1.4 for my FM2n off the aucton site for

cheap$$. Was advertised as being Ai. The lens didn't want to mount on

the camera at first. Tried again and it did attach but the aperture

ring then turned hard and the camera wouldn't meter with this lens. I

suspect this is a non Ai lens. When comparing it to an Ai lens the

raised, curved tab near the lens mount is shorter and in a slightly

different position than that on my 20 4 Ai. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Mike

non-ai lenses are missing the ai indexing cut out. look at the aperture ring of the lens. is the the edge that buts up against the camera smooth all the way around or is it missing a big chunk? if the aperture ring sits flush to the lensmount, then its non-ai.

Yeah. What Alan said. A lot of eBay sellers, particularly if they are not Nikon users, haven't got a clue what the difference is between AI and non-AI. Even fewer can distinguish between AI and AIS. Request a refund.

Or get it AI'd. You can file the notch by hand yourself, but that will require some minor disassembly (no biggie) to remove the aperture ring. You will need to find a clear photo of another f/1.4 lens to determine the correct location of the notch. DIY instructions are here: http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/repair/aimod/aimod.htm

Or you can contact one of these two gents to do it for you: http://www.aiconversions.com/ or http://hometown.aol.com/wdshpbiz/AImod.html

<A href="http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/repair/aimod/aimod.htm"> Dremel away!</a> If it really was cheap enough, this might be more fun than quarreling with the seller, shipping it back etc..

And in regard to a recent post: I fail to see how it would be Mike's fault if the lens was advertised as being AI. Unless you get a picture and/or a serial number, you have to rely on the seller's description.

If the lens is optically fine, getting it AI'ed is probably the esaiest solution. That was a common procedure back in 1977 when Nikon introdueced AI and a lot of pre-AI lenses needed conversion. I find it interesting that we are still talking about that now almost 30 years later.

I agree that the seller deserves the benefit of the doubt to start with. See whether they are willing to refund you or pay for (part of) the conversion.

I'm sorry but I don't think there's anything like a "honest mistakeᄏ on the auction site. If

there is ignorance, it's not honest to go on and sell the item under wrong pretense. Check

first, and make sure you advertise the real thing. There are too many crooks out there to

be lenient. 1% of dishonest sellers ruin trading on-line for the honest 99% .

But, okay, give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Try to get a refund. Let us know how he

reacted.

Gary Watson you are a piece of work. I've been to this point, a modern AF guy who has not before studied the difference Ai and non Ai. I did know I needed Ai or Ais which is how the lens was adevertised. And who says I was steamed? I only asked question. Folks like you are really not needed on this otherwise excellent site.

Michael, if you'd done your homework you'd know that not all 50/1.4 Nikkors are alike. There have been design changes. Older non-AI ones aren't as sharp near wide open as later ones or as AI/AIS ones. I should know, I had one of the early ones.

Just send the fool thing back, curse yourself for a trusting fool while you're at it, and after you've educated yourself more on the subject resume shopping. Stop to reflect before snapping at me.

I think the important issues here are that Michael has identified the model of the lens he received and thankfully his FM2n is not damaged from mounting a pre-AI lens on it. Otherwise, please be a little easier on one another.

Hopefully the seller will take responsibility to correct this error.

Yep, it's Buyer Beware. If you don't know the difference and you buy a lens, in my book it's your tough luck. Sellers everywhere sell things without knowing what it is, or if they know, they sell it as something else. What do they care anyway? I don't think this situation merits a negative feedback unless the seller refuses to refund the purchaser if the purchaser feels wronged. But always Buyer Beware. I've been burned many times buying camera equipment on the auction site. Now I expect it to need a repair, no matter what the price!

Dave