50/1.2 non-L

mark_houlder2

Does anyone have any experience with the NON-L version of the FD 50/1.2 ? I've

been after the L version for a while but they're just too expensive, however

I've found a non L version for sale at ᆪ130 in good condition, but as I already

have the 1.4 and 1.8 versions I don't want to spend the money if the lens isn't

that good. I do a lot of low-light and shallow DOF stuff so it would be ideal

for me, if the quality is there.

For what you like to do, consider also the older breech mount 55 f1/2, SSC or pre-SSC chrome ring. I had an older FL 55 f1.2, the same optical formula as the early FD (non-Asph, non-L)1.2's. I still marvel at the sharpness of my 1970's shots with it. Other folks here seem to think that the 1.2 non-Ls are are sharp as any at maybe f2.8 and beyond.

The real bonus is a brighter viewfinder picture, especially so with the brighter F-1 screens and the AE-1P screen. This will aid in focusing, at whatever aperture you're actually shooting. Sorry, this reply tap-dances around your original question, but I am sure someone here has used the 50mm f1.2 non-L.

I've had both L and non-L versions. Sold the non-L when I got the L and was able to compare them both. The non-L is softer at almost all apertures and I would not spend the money on it. You're probably better served by either the newFD 50mm f1.4 or waiting to have money for the L version lens. My 2 cents....

Vladimir

Between the 50mm nFD f1.8 / the 50mm nFD f1.4 and the nFD 50mm f1.2 I would buy the f1.4 with no doubts. However please note that I'm very partial to the new mount. I've also had the 50mm f1.4 in the older BL mounts as well as the older chrome nose ring ....all of which I consider not as sharp as the nFD 50mm f1.4. Best bang for the buck is the the 50mm nFD f1.4......best quality is the 55mm f1.2 ASPHERICAL...by some even better than the newer 50mm f1.2L. IT also sells for 30-40% more.....

Vladimir