5-D Mark II in a rainstorm!

<p>How long do I leave it in the bowl of rice?<br>

So this morning I wound up with my 2 month old 5-D mark II and 24-70 2.8L managing to stay outside during a heavy shower for about a half hour while I was inside. Once I went into emergency action mode, I immediately removed the battery, toweled it off, and researched what I should do next.<br>

I am not so worried about the lens, I know it is supposed to be moisture and dust sealed (just got it 3 days ago btw, awesome lens!) I racked it all the way out and toweled it off.<br>

The body has spent the day in a sealed bowl of rice, after drying it the best I could, there was no water in the battery compartment or the housing that I could see.<br>

So the question is, How long does it need to stay there?<br>

Thanks so much for your help, I hope this is a warning to everyone, it can happen, easily!</p>

<p>Actually, I don't think that using a bowl of rice as a dessicant is a good idea. Some rice dust may get inside the camera and gum things up later under the right(wrong) conditions - cooked rice also works as glue. If you need to use a dessicant, packets of silica gel and the camera in a sealed plastic bag would be much preferable. Good luck!</p>

<p>The 5D Mk2 is suppose to be weather resistant also. The battery compartment is facing down on a camera. How can water get inside? I had my Nikon D300 stayed out in the rain for at least 15 minutes during a very heavy down pour. Not a single drop of water got inside.</p>

• 2 weeks later...