is a 1970 - 1980s single coated lens.. ill be shooting velvia if

their still makeing it.. on vacations and occationally for fun.. ill

also be using it to make my 6x9 roll back a standard view with rise

if the crown will alow it.. i probably will have to take off the

external view wire from the lens holding board of the camera.. what

say you all.. all comments good, bad and the ugly appreciated.. will

another lense like the 5.6 75 or the new 55 rodenstock be

considerably better? thanks dave..

His price isn't too far off the mark; recent 65mm f/5.6 SA's on a certain online auction site ranged from US$515 to US$634.

OTOH, the f/8 version of the 65mm SA will probably offer more movement than your Crown will allow, and they've been selling for about $300 less than the f/5.6.

A Super Angulon in good condition will do as well as anything around in most situations.

Price seems a little high for a private sale (as opposed to ebay with its inconvenience for the seller, commissions, etc.). OTOH, you're probably safer buying from a reputable dealer than from ebay, especially if the store will let you try the lens for a few days before buying or allow full return privileges without restocking fees. As you already know, the lens will just barely cover 4x5, which isn't a problem for your camera with its minimal movements but should affect its resale value.

P.S. Is there some law or photo.net rule against using the term "ebay" here? I always see these cutesy references like "well known auction site" or "__Bay" instead of just using the name.

Well just to throw in my two pence, i have a 65 6.8 Super Angulon. Using it on my Super

Technika is possible but it's a real pain in the ass, the groundglass is basically a hotspot

and blackness even at wide-open. Maybe mine is a particularly old example of this lens,

but i find focusing and composing a real issue. I find that the focal length feels like

something between about 28mm and 35mm which is not really wide enough either,

although i can't really imagine being able to use anything shorter with the body i have...

I must admit that part of this is simply the faff that one must go through to render the

Technika capable of focusing the lens at infinity but still. The fact that it comes in a 00

zero shutter doesn't really help things either, in terms of ergonomics. I do have fat fingers

though.

On a plus side the quality seems to be fairly good. Chromes look very sharp under a 5x

loupe (all i have at the moment).

Chris, if it is 65/6.8 it is an Angulon and won't cover 4x5. If it is 65/5.6 or 65/8 is is a Super Angulon and will cover 4x5. Now, which do you have?

FWIW, I have no problems shooting nominal 6x9 with a 65/8 Ilex. This is in the same design family as the 65/8 SA.

I have the SA 65/8 on my 4x5 Speed Graphic and love it! Be aware though that you have to stop it down to f22 to cover 4x5, and with Velvia 50 that means long exposures. I do it all the time with excellent results, just want you to know. Also, if you run into 00 shutters make sure it has a functional shutter release socket since you must set to 'B' to focus on the GG. The f5.6 version has a 0 shutter, which is more modern.

I am not sure the 5.6 is worth it. Your camera probably can't make much use of the extra coverage, and focussing on the GG with a f5.6 is probably as difficult as with the f8.

By the way my lens is from the sixties and it is incredibly sharp and contrasty!

i got my schneider 65mm f5.6 multi-coat nearly an year ago and it performs superb! it is very sharp with good colour tone and i didn't bother to get the center filter. usually i shoot at f11 or f16 and so far so very good. however, one point to note is that you cannot put in PL lens cause a standard PL filter will cast a strong black corner to the side of the 4x5 film , of course this won't be a problem if you use 6x9 format. what i ve done to remove this problem is to handheld a 77mm PL lens in close contact with the lens while i trigger the shutter - steady hands pls.