4x5 rangefinder lives again

I saw Valerie Plame, the CIA operative, testifying in front of some

congressional commitee yesterday. Off to her right about 5 feet and slightly

to the rear was a Washington photog with a Speed Graphic. All I could see was

a hugh lens, top mounted RF, and the guy removing his dark slide.

Look very carefully if you catch the news clip, as he is almost hidden.

Considering the 24hr news cycle, it will not be shown again.

He was not in the crowd with all the white lenses to her front.

Although I did not see the report, I suspect that the photographer was David Burnett, a distinguished PJ for many years. I believe he is working quite retro, enjoying the selective focus his 4x5 provides. If I recall correctly, he's been on the major campaign trail for the last couple of years.

KPS

I was incorrect. Barnett's lens set up appears to use a focal plane shutter unless he has a custom built mount that included a Compur shutter. My Dad worked as a film development test engineer for EK's Film Testing Division during WWII. Film breakage was a constant problem for the electronic film drive aerial recon cameras until a camera heating system was developed. For a period of time the AAF stationed a B25 in Rochester for testing installations of cameras, lenses and film emultions and transport systems. One of the EK Kodak Park building roofs had one of the largest resolution test patterns used up to that time. Rochester winter altitude camera/film test runs were no fun.

An they are still doing air to air from B 25`s. The rear guns and enclosure is removed and the camera aimed rearward.

I saw this done in Kalamazoo Michigan several years back. The air musiem has has a F4 Wildcat, F5 Hellcat, F7 Tigercat, and F8 Bearcat. I saw them all takeoff and form up behind the B 25 for sunset photo. This is the sole place in the world where one can see all the Grumman cats in one place.

The man who flew the F4 came from the hangar to the airplane dressed in a WW2 flying suit and short grey crew cut. Word was he was a real F4 combat pilot from the war. This was middle 1980`s

The dark slide is irrelant as to to which shutter he is using. If he has a dark slide entered

into the holder (or whatever) he isn't going to get an image-- period. The dark slide

protects the film holder, nothing else.

If you are going to use the focal plane shutter, then you need to be sure that the BTL

shutter is open (or you have a barrel mount). You set the FP completely separely for

speed, but it is in front of the slide, just like the Compur or whatever.

If you're going to use the compur BTL shutter, then you need to set the Focal plane shutter

to be open, which will depend on which model you use. Later FPs have a specific setting or

you can improvise. Earlier FPs I'd have to look.

The easiest way to use an Aero Ektar is with the FP, but it's not necessarily the best for low

light imaging. Remember a 30th isn a thirtieth but a continuum of 1/30s across 4 inches,

top to bottom.

The f/2.5 aero ektar isn't designed for a BTL shutter, but it's been done and there are

variations if you're a good machinist or Grimes is doing your machine work. Compur is

just guessing and not likely. Grimes suggests an Ilex Number 5 shutter is whtat works

best.

I have a collection of Graphics - and worked with them.But I don't have an Aero Ekta. The

camera is a Graphic.Graflex is either the brand name or an SLR, whatever. If you're going

to use both shutters, you must be carefull to keep one open. I don't now offhand what the

practical lower end shutter speed is for FP, but I do know, you can inspect 4x5 if it needs

to be pushed (B&W) and you've got the bigger imae.

Joe, your post is 100% accurate. The slow speed shutter travel time can result in an interesting distortion if the object like a race car is moving at high speed right to left as it is being exposed. The image has a distinct lean. I recall an early race photo by "Lartigue"? where the wheels ended up as ovals and the car body was leaning into the direction of travel. Neat effect of speed better than a blur, but I have no idea how to duplicate the shot. Where would you ever go to get 4x5 film packs and development?

Christopher,

You'd probably develop it at home. I suspect most 4x5 shooters do so. I know I do. Local lab can scan the negs and print OK. Or I can scan the neg in pieces and stitch it together in PS.

I've seen posts from people telling where to get 4x5 proccessed in big cities, and I *think* my local labs have told me they can do it too, but I have no firsthand experience with lab-processed 4x5 film.

Doug Grosjean

Rural NW Ohio