4x5 glass carrier - can I file it?

francesco_palombi

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I really need to print 4x5 negatives with the black border.<br>

I'm planning to print them very very big using the roll paper 30x40 and so I really need a glass carrier.</p>

<p>My question is: can I file a 4x5 glass carrier negative?</p>

<p>I'm sure there is a way to do that, cause Avedon did it!</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Francesco</p>

<p>The problem is that depending on your enlarger, you may have, -or not-, enough "image circle" to add that borders. You have to check it.<br /> It also depends on the width of the borders you want; likely, you`ll have to print with a little border, and if you want it wider, to reprint the borders (protecting the imagle with blackout material).</p>

<p>As mentioned above; If you have a Saunders/LPL, you can file the ordinary glass carrier a bit for a little border, or for a wider border if you replace the glass.<br /> You can also use a "one side only" glass negative carrier; in this way the LPL ordinary glass carrier is great, with a little work you´ll get it. You`ll have then to remove the negative holder base in the enlarger. Don`t know if the "coverage" is then enough; never tested it.<br /> Don`t know other carriers... every carrier has its own design. The LPL glass carrier is easier to modify than e.g. the glassless one, the Beseler or the Omegas I have.<br>

<br /> The easiest way is to use a 5x7 carrier; I have just checked the one of my 5x7 enlarger and it fits more or less centered (on the LPL), but again, light coverage must be checked.<br /> Needless to say that on a 5x7 enlarger the work is just done.</p>

<p>Anyway; given that 4x5" sheets use to be flat (mine are perfectly flat), just use a piece of glass as a negative carrier; use Scotch Magic tape if needed. A good source of glass could be the ones used on that cheap clipped "frameless" photo frames (they even have rounded borders).<br /> If it doesn`t work, go for the expensive route.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Depends on the design, I've got one you could file and another you can't as the glass would fall out the bottom.</em><br /> You can certainly file the metal <strong>and then insert bigger glasses ...</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not so easily filed, the lips supporting the ends of the glass are 2mm wide, the glass is beveled and clamped in place. The glass is thinner than the sheet aluminum and sits flush with the top surface.</p>

<p> </p><div>00a2rh-444399584.jpg.6fd76491f22588c54ac9eadd59202f2a.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for the replies.</p>

<p>Yeah the easiest way would be printing on a 5x7 or 8x10 enlarger....but at my school I can only print up to 4x5.. <br>

So..maybe I can ask the school if they can file a 4x5 glass carrier, but I don't think they will do that.<br>

So I guess that I would have to buy one and my question would be: which one?<br>

I guess I have to tell you with which enlarger I'm working..I know that's a Durst, but I don't remember the model. I can tell you soon.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Francesco </p>

<p>Before killing flies with a bazooka, I`d try the rest-your-film-over-a-sheet-of-glass system, or just sandwich your film between two sheets of glass.<br /> The "only" problem you can experience this way are Newton`s rings. Maybe not.<br /> For less than $6 you can have the glass from two 5x7" "frameless" type photo frames. A Durst Laborator carrier will cost a fortune ($$$ =three digits fortune).</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>Yes, you can use anti-newton glass. But all you'll need is a plain, unscratched sheet (I used the thick stuff) for the bottom where the emulsion will rest. Then place the ANG on top, place carefully in the enlarger and print. I marked on the plain glass where the 4x5 should be to be centered, and even drilled holes in the glass with a special bit and oil to accommodate the pins on my Omega that accept the notches in a normal Omega film carrier.</p>