4x5 Contact Print Frame Suggestions

alex_hawley

I'm looking for suggestions for a 4x5 contact print frame. This

would be used for making fine prints, not just proofing. My

disadvantage is that I've never seen nor used one so I have no first-

hand experience to draw from. I've been using the home-brew sheet

glass method but have decided to advance beyond since its nearly

impossible to make a print without dust specs that way.

Alex, While Alan will make beautiful printing frames, there are others that are equally as functional and not nearly as expensive. A number of 8X10 frames are up on e*** now. You can use an 8X10 frame to contact 4X5. Usually the back is split (hinged) and spring tensioned into the frame. By the way, where in Kansas are you located?

Alex, it sounds like you've got a few good leads on acquiring a good contact frame. Without attempting to throw cold water on anyone's potential sales, let me say that, as far as the dust issue with using the "home-brew sheet glass" method, a pro-quality contact frame will not intrinsically be any more dust-free than any other good quality sheet of plate glass. The contact frame and spring back, although good features, don't intrinsically add to the dust-free quality. Dust-free is dependant on your darkroom's cleanliness, your work habits, etc. There's still 5 surfaces that can potentially acquire dust that will show up in your print: both sides of the glass, both sides of the negative, and the front (emulsion) side of your print paper.

Sure, go ahead and get a good frame, but make sure the "glass" is actually real glass, not thick plastic, and that it's scratch and blemish-free, and not warped. Warpage will effect print sharpness. When the plate glass wears out, you can just go down to the glass shop and pay a few $ for another sheet.