454 Micropositioning Sliding Plate AKA Focusing Rail

guy_gervais

i've been looking at macro focusign rails too, Guy. i am leanign towards the Really Right Stuff or Kirk witthe 454 as a less expensive alternative.

Will you be ing doig nfield work or studio work? My conclusion thus far is that these tools will work best for work where Ieither there is no subject motion or where I can control subject motion and position.

i've been looking at macro focusign rails too, Guy. i am leanign towards the Really Right Stuff or Kirk witthe

454 as a less expensive alternative.

Will you be doing wild field work or studio work? My conclusion thus far is that these tools will work best for

work where Ieither there is no subject motion or where I can control subject motion and position.

I have one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Macro-Shot-Focusing-4-way-Rail-Truck-for-D80-D200-350D_W0QQitemZ320265164524QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320265164524&_trkparms=72%3A392%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

and it does a fine job. Not familar with the 454 but this one is accurate and solid with no creep. It's a 4 way and makes it easy to focus, frame and lock the shot. Even with a heavier bellows setup. For the money it's well worth the price.

Canon's focusing rail/bellows system was very important to me back in F1 days...as was the cobbled-together rail I used for Pentax 6X7....but this was for technical work, not for pretty pictures.

Monorail view cameras make the same point dramatically.

for macro, yes...you simply need one to adjust the millimeter increments necessary for high magnification macro focusing.

I don't have it yet but I like Adoramas focusing rail system. seems to be well regarded. but for $100 less Ebay sells some chinese knockoffs that look very similar. Might be worth a shot if you are serious about macro.

Till I get one my bellows is useless!!!!