45 degree side lighting

3zs

Hi All -

Im taking a local photography course and we are focusing on lighting at the moment. As part of the

current assignment we need to create some images with 45 degree, 90 degree and back lighting - all with

natural sunlight. Im stumped on the 45 degree image, im having a hard time - especially this time of year

in NJ - finding a subject for this image.

Any examples people want to share would be a big help or any stories of "seeing light" would also be

appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Antmo

All my photos on here right now are loop lighting-- I have 45^ and split lighting else where, but I can't link to it from photo.net.

Finding a subject is easy! Maybe people aren't as nice in NJ, as they are in FL, but over here, you can normally get a pedistrian to pose for a college assignment if you have the location picked out and it takes less than 5 minutes of their time. Ron gave some great examples if that fails-- network w/ other people in your class.

For split lighting, I'd shoot it near a white wall-- I hate a light drop off that loses texture in the shadow side. Play w/ the distance until you get the look you like.

I agree with both Ronald & Nathan. Just find someone to shoot and make sure that you have a

'shadow loop' underneath their nose that is at a 45 degree angle, then you know that you

have the 45 degree lighting technique.

Subjects should be the least of your worries as lighting a subject often becomes the difficult

part.

Good luck and post your photos if you can! Look forward to seeing your work.

Hi All -

I should have been said that we cant so a person, it needs to be a something....

The subject that I chose - so far - was flowers. I tried to capture the subtle shades

and shadows the show the shape and texture of the flowers. In there I also have some

backlit shots.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=800054

Nathan - I love the coppertone spoof...very good!!